Longbow or recurve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow or recurve?

Thinking about getting into traditional? What will be best for hunting deer?
    Any advice would be great?

My opinion...find a nice recurve...Samick sage is an inexpensive entry level one that comes to mind. Martin Jaguars a good one too...Longbows are awesome!! A lot of fun to shoot. But if you're hunting in a ladder stand or blind they are a bit of a pain to get used to.

Comment

The one you shoot the best and you are most comfortable shooting. Both are more than enough bow for whitetail. Find a shop that has both and shoot. Welcome to the dark side.
      Personaly I have 3 recurves and 2 longbows, yes I know I have a problem. All are Sarrels
      They are all great shooters, but I'm most comfortable and confident in my Ridgecat and Puma recurve.

Comment

Everyone has different opinions neither are exceptionally better

Comment

The recurve is usually the easiest to move to from compounds.

Comment

None of us can answer that question for you. It is all personal preference and what you have the most confidence in. Neither recurves or longbows are superior to each other performance wise. You need to meet a few trad shooters in your area, try out some recurves and longbows, and then decide which is better for you.

Bisch
            Last edited by Bisch; 09-24-2014, 08:18 PM.

Comment

what Bisch said

Comment

I've enjoyed hunting with both over the past 26 years. I've shot good animals with both. I prefer longbows, but only those that can shoot well. Not all longbows can shoot well. Most recurves, you can get to shoot pretty well. Longbows are just tougher to tune, but they are a pleasure to carry and usually are whisper quiet - two things I really like.

Just remember, there are good recurves and bad ones, and good longbows and bad ones. If you have a good or bad experience with either bow, don't think they are all like that. They aren't.

Comment

I'm looking to get in traditional any suggestion on a good shop in the San Antonio area to help me get set up

Comment

There is not much in the way of shops anywhere that carry much decent trad gear. Your best bet is to find some trad guys in your area to help you out.

Bisch

Comment

Agree with Bisch. If you can find a Trad shoot in your area, I'd suggest going and introduce yourself. Tell the guys/gals what you are looking to do. Most, if not all, Trad guys are always willing to help out and will probably let you shoot their bow on the range. It's a great way to test drive a 'plethora' of bows in a short time. You'll know really quick what style and pound range matches your needs/ability/preference.

Randy
                      Last edited by Randy M; 09-25-2014, 04:48 AM.

Comment

What bisch said I have both I love both that is all

Comment

What Bisch said. I currently have 9 longbows and 4 recurves and a couple selfbows, and I prefer to hunt with a longbow. Recurves are probably a little easier for a beginner to learn to shoot trad with.

Comment

I have each 1 long bow that I started with and 2 recurves,and love all three. I do like my recurves just a little bit more but thats just me. I shot several before I ever bought one.

Comment

Thanks guys. This sounds pretty addictive? Just what I need. Something else to consume my time and money? I'll see if I can find a shoot in my area.

Comment

Working...
                              X