Tuning help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tuning help

I've never tuned a recuve before. I have a pse coyote take down recurve and have never tuned it other then squaring the nock. I really want to get into shooting and hunting with it. It's surprisingly accurate having never tuned it.

This is great info for tuning a traditional bow. http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
        This is great info for tuning a traditional bow. http://www.acsbows.com/bowtuning.html
        x2!!! All the info you need is there. Good luck!

Comment

The above link is a really good source but I would also add that tuning is best accomplished after a consistent shot sequence is developed. I'm not saying don't tune, but only tune to the point that you're getting acceptable arrow flight and then focus on your form. Everyone's shooting technique is different, but unless you can consistently group 3-6 arrows at 15-20 yards you're likely to chase your tail on "tuning" issues that are really just inconsistencies with your form. A reasonably close nocking point and brace height will get your arrows flying good enough and after you're "settled in" to what works for your shooting style you can go back and really fine tune things to get them flying like darts!

Comment

agtex42 makes a valid point. Be sure you have some consistency before you tune things up.

Comment

agtex42 is spot-on.

Comment

in for later

Comment

I know from painful experience that agtex42 is right. When your arrows consistently go to the same place, then tune to get that place to be the one you want. Do not try to make up for an inconsistent shot with tuning - that way lies madness.

Comment

I don't think I'm ready to tune yet. My recurve shots are consistently all over the place lol

Comment

Originally posted by PSD Ryan View Post
                      I don't think I'm ready to tune yet. My recurve shots are consistently all over the place lol
                      lol I remember that feeling.

Comment

All advise that has been given is great advise... Let me add that tuning an arrow that is suited for your bow is key to perfect tuning, along with form. Here's a good place to check for proper arrow; http://www.3riversarchery.com/SpineC...tor.asp?pass=2. This is a really good starting point, some like the 3 Rivers and Stu's Calculator, some don't, personally I love them both. Remember that all data entered has to be correct in order to get the proper results.

Once you get the right arrow, form is key to get consistent results. Consistent groups on the target are the only way you'll be able to make the right moves. After you use and study the ACS tuning a few times it will become second nature to you. And remember there is always the tried and true paper tuning method if you prefer.

There's a lot of great trad guys and gals in your area, see if you can meet up with a someone for a little help. The learning curve will be a lot faster if you can get some solid help in the beginning.

Once you get all tuned in, it's time to see how you want to aim. There's the instinctive method and gap shooting, along with a few other methods. If you shoot 3 fingers under the nock, I would suggest the gap method. Draco has a great write that is a sticky up top. Gap may be the quickest way to get consistent with your aiming, but that's just my opinion. I will add that some of the very best shots that I have ever met shoot instinctive. Good luck and have fun.

Comment

Working...
                        X