No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What do you guys use(fly) to catch Amur(Grass Carp) am on a pond that has few and would to catch some.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
      What do you guys use(fly) to catch Amur(Grass Carp) am on a pond that has few and would to catch some.
      I've read that carp can be a real challenge to catch on a fly. Alot of sight casting and they can bee spooky. But then I've seen videos of folks catching them. On of my favorite was a guy who noticed the carp would eat things like cheetos floating around, so he tied a foam fly made to look like a cheeto...

You might have to get creative.

Comment

I've heard of guys catching them in Town lake in Austin after they mow the grass, guys would toss just some spun green deer hair on a hook and catch them. I haven't seen these things surface feed yet and everything I've tossed at them they ignore.

I might have to give these a try.
        Get the best deals on Other Fishing Baits, Lures & Flies when you shop the largest online selection at eBay.com. Free shipping on many items | Browse your favorite brands | affordable prices.

Comment

I wouldn't classify those as a fly

Funny how somebody came up with the idea of taking fish pellets and using a tiny rubberband to band it to a hook

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
            It was mostly a big all black fly. Big furry body with a bit of a tail...kind of comet like. Also used (and lost) ones with a feather body, one brown the other red. They sank slowly. I would cast and then wait until the fly was as deep as it would go, then strip in a little line and let settle back down. When they hit it, there was no doubt, we all had the little reel handle clobber us when the fish was stripping line before you knew it was happening.
            I like to fish a Muddler Minnow like that. You have to hold it under water and squeeze it to let it absorb enough water to sink. I've caught a ton of bass and bream on one, including my best flyrod bass, 7 1/2 lbs.

Comment

I like to fish a Muddler Minnow like that. You have to hold it under water and squeeze it to let it absorb enough water to sink.
              I've had a lot of finicky trout just slam a small(like size 10 3xl) Muddler.

I elaborated on it for bass...wish I had a picture of it. I would wrap the head area where you are going to spin the deer hair and just a little past it with the smallest lead wire you can buy shave the head flat like a minnow,put some eyes on it and give it a marabou skirt behind the head and then build the rest normal...it's a killer fly for about everything that swims.

Showed it to Jimmy Nix(if you know who that is) and he changed it a little bit and patented it..called it a Shineaboo Shad I think.

You can tie them as small and as big as you want...color match your baitfish. It's my go to fly...you can also leave the lead out and fish it on a short sink tip with a short 3'-4' leader over weed beds. Works really well,floats right over the weed beds and dives when you strip it and then floats back up.

Comment

Went out and did some fly fishing. Caught my first bass of the year. This was the bigger of the two fpr the evening along with some sizeable sunfish

Comment

OMG I'm freaking out right now!....I'll elaborate later after you guys answers these questions.

1: How long have you been fly fishing?

2: What got you into it or who taught you?

3: Is it your 1st preference way to fish?

4: Do you tie your own flies?

4a: If so where or how did you learn?

Comment

OMG I'm freaking out right now!....I'll elaborate later after you guys answers these questions.

1: How long have you been fly fishing?

2: What got you into it or who taught you?

3: Is it your 1st preference way to fish?

4: Do you tie your own flies?

4a: If so where or how did you learn?
                    1. One year
                    2. If you knew me, you'd understand I am self taught with the help of online research.
                    3. Yes, it is now.
                    4. Yes
                    4a. Same as #2... research. Mainly online research and Youtube; but a few books from half priced books are laying around for inspiration.

Comment

1-50+ years
                      2-reading books about it
                      3-yes
                      4-yes
                      4a-reading and doing

Comment

Thx...So anyways I'm just freaking out on the prices of stuff now days.

Been tying since I was 8 and I'm 56 now...use to live to fly fish. Tied commercially for 2 years supporting my family,doing that tuned my passion into a chore.

Then I kind of got depressed and lost interest in fishing and everything else in general. This thread sparked my interest again in it.

About 15 years ago low life's broke into my truck and stole all my reels...high end reels..around 2K+ worth but didn't get the rods. Just got my Scott 8' 9" 4# fixed that got broke by a friend 2nd time I ever took it out(My Pride & Joy) and all I can say is excellent customers service from Scott...15 year old rod and they dug out the mandrel and replaced it.

The other thing is all my flyting equipment and flies are about 1500 miles away in a storage shed..and I have literally a 1000 flies at least there and no reels so I go shopping for reels and flies and about have a heart attack.

Bream poppers(China) I use to see for dollar or two are now $6 at Granger!
                        I finally found some online that are reasonable but I can't stand buying flies,it kills me...never done it before. And reels! Gezzz

I still have a spool for a Ross Gunison #3 with an 8# Bass Bug Taper line Pre 98 if anyone wants to buy it..I found out it's a collecters item now...LOL

I want to sell it and put the money towards something functional and reasonably priced.

I need a 4 weight reel and a 10 weight...looking hard at the Okuma SLV.
                        Had it in my hand and a real nice reel for the money or a Reddington Surge.

Who fishes down here in the GT area?..need some guidance or advice on where to go...Reds,Flounder and Sea trout

Comment

Yep, it ain't cheap... that is for sure. I too was tired of spending $4 for a popper or a hopper at some of these stores, so I decided to buy stuff to start tying my own. I haven't ventured into making the commercial looking poppers because I've had alot of success with just craft foam folded and tied in a similar fashion. Sure they don't hold up as well, but they cost pennies (hook costs the most.) They are also fun to tie.

Honestly, I don't think I'd have stayed fly fishing if I hand't got into tying. Maybe I would have, but I'd grow tired of going and buying flies every other week. And don't get me wrong, I'd still go buy some flies; especially if going on a special trip. But for just fishing around town, having the ability to tie flies is what keeps me going.

Comment

Had a chance to do a little fly fishing out at the ranch this weekend. No pictures but I hooked into a few fishing including the smallest perch I've ever caught at about 1 1/2 inches. Tied a few bugs out of a variety of pipe cleaners. Also picked up a new to me 6 wt bass pro Dogwood Canyon 9' rod. Now just if I could cast

Comment

I have been wanting to get out. Now that the rain has finally started to slow down some, I might be able to sneak in some fishing.

Comment

2 gills and a bass out at the Y.

Comment

Working...
                                X