No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those flys look great. I am so ready to get back after them. As soon as this weather breaks I am going to be a serious about it.

Comment

The bodies have acoat of Sally's Hard as Nails nail polish on them.

That isn't deer hair spun behind the body, it is hackle feather from the neck or saddle of a rooster. It's not hard to do at all. If you were setting next to me when I did it, you would see just how easy it is. There is a trick to tying it off up tight to the popper body and not have it show but again, it's not hard at all.

Comment

Here is some more pictues to see more on how to make the bodies. If you want some popper body blanks, just PM me your address and I'll send you some to make up.
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          The bodies have acoat of Sally's Hard as Nails nail polish on them.

That isn't deer hair spun behind the body, it is hackle feather from the neck or saddle of a rooster. It's not hard to do at all. If you were setting next to me when I did it, you would see just how easy it is. There is a trick to tying it off up tight to the popper body and not have it show but again, it's not hard at all.
          DOH!!!!

I should have known better. That doesn't look anything like spun hair and is totally hackle (face palm.)

I guess that's what happens when you tie for a couple of months for the first time and then take all of October-December off. It isn't second nature yet.

What bit is that you are using to hole out the plugs?

Edit: I looked closer - is that a shell casing attached to a screw? That is genious!!!

Comment

Yes, it is a large shell casing with a hole drilled in the primer pocket that a little bolt goes through. You can make several different sizes real easy. You can also use a golf club shaft if it's not over 1/2" for a 1/2" drill.

Comment

Here's a couple I have on my phone.
              I've got boxes and boxes of flies I've tied. Maybe I'll get some out for pics.

Comment

Tried to add trout to the list today. Trout 1, me 0.

Comment

I bet that grass carp was a kick in the slats to catch. .

Comment

I bet that grass carp was a kick in the slats to catch. .
                    Yes sir, all 45 minutes worth on that 6wt. I can only imagine what a redfish would be like, this had to have been close.

Comment

Here is a picture of my friend Andy with a big one he caught on a 6 wt. It was in a hole of water on a creek that was about 100 yards long. The fish could only run a hundred yards and then had to turn and come back. It did that for about an hour, a long boring fight, but what a fish. Weighed 41#.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Here is a picture of my friend Andy with a big one he caught on a 6 wt. It was in a hole of water on a creek that was about 100 yards long. The fish could only run a hundred yards and then had to turn and come back. It did that for about an hour, a long boring fight, but what a fish. Weighed 41#.
                        Ha!!! Mine was in one about 50 yards long. Back and forth, back and forth, and back. ........you get the idea.

Just have to reel like a banshee when the fish is running at you.

Comment

Swamp Rabbit sent you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            Swamp Rabbit sent you a PM.
                            Ok, I'll check and reply. Been a busy 4 day weekend.

Comment

This year has not been good to me as far as fly fishing success...

So far, I have tried trout fishing at a stocked pond nearby... 0 for 1.
                              A few weeks back I fished the Frio river at Garner state park. 0 for 3! I got a few taps, but no takes!

I'm about to just head over to the nearby community pond that is loaded with sunfish and see if I can at least get my mojo back

Comment

I'll be heading to community lake next to try my luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X