No announcement yet.

Adventures in "trad" fishing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a lot of respect for those who can spin hair like that. Those are very impressive flies. If I could take one class, it would be on spinning and stacking hair like that.

Comment

Wow, those look great, MikeW

Comment

Those are really cool flies, MikeW!

Bisch

Comment

Cool looking flies Mike!

Comment

Sweet brother yall are getting B A at this "TRAD" fishing gig

Comment

I haven't been fishing as much as most of my time is spent prepping for bow season... However, one of the things I am really looking forward to from this season is saving the tail and some hide for making flies. My hope is to be able to eventually be able to tie some caddis flies and clousers using hair from what I've taken with my bow.

Comment

I guess I gotta be the odd man out. I figure fly fishing is still based on technology.

But, it can sure be fun. lol

Comment

Originally posted by LostHawg View Post
                  I guess I gotta be the odd man out. I figure fly fishing is still based on technology.

But, it can sure be fun. lol
                  Not sure how long fly fishing has been around... beleive it is attributed to 2nd century at the earliest and since Japan has been at it for a while... probably longer.

Comment

Thx for the props guys...have had plenty of practice, been at since I was about 8 and am 55 now. They weren't always that pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeW View Post
                      Thx for the props guys...have had plenty of practice, been at since I was about 8 and am 55 now. They weren't always that pretty.
                      There are some of the first flies I tied at about that age roaming around somewhere, so I'm pretty sure I get what you're saying! Man I wish I could tie like you!

Comment

First fly fish today! My daughter and I both started fly fishing earlier this year (she's 9) and neither of us have caught anything. We were fishing off a boatd dock on canal in Seabrook today and I was showing her where to cast.

First time out I got this little gafftop on an orange and white shrimp pattern. I'm not exactly going to mount this guy over the mantle, but it was exciting to finally catch one!

Of course, no other bites rest of the night, but we'll be back at it tomorrow.

Comment

Congrats!!!! Always an awesome feeling getting that first. Post up a pic of that fly.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                            Congrats!!!! Always an awesome feeling getting that first. Post up a pic of that fly.
                            Thanks! I couldn' find a cork to stick it in. He hit it the minute it went under water.

Comment

That is a cool fly. I'll have to try tying up something like that.

Tonight I'm headed out to a new county pond/park that my wife discovered driving down Eldridge the other day. She and the kids scoped it out while I was at the lease this weekend. We're going to see if there are any fish. Not alot of trees around the pond so casting should be good. Not sure what kind of structure there though.

Comment

Well the front pushed through and we were able to still go tonight. I fished a chartreuse and white clouser I tied before bow season started. This is on a streamer hook with bucktail and brass dumbell eyes.

First fish was a nice bass and the second fish I believe is a white crappie which would be a new species on a new fly on a new pond. I have only caught a crappie once, years ago so I am not familiar... whatcha think?

Comment

Working...
                                X