Recurve length?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve length?

I am a longbow/selfbow guy,but recently got a recurve to shoot in the Ironman competitions.The recurve I have is a Checkmate at least that is what I have been told,I can not find any info on the bow at all.It is a take down,and I looked under the limbs ,and still nothing.
    I am needing to put a string on this bow(it does not have one)but do not know how to measure it,and would anybody know about where brace height would be?Any info would be great.Thanks..

Comment

Maybe I don't have a check-mate,this one looks more like a black widow,with the limbs bolted to the back of the riser.

Comment

Chekmate did make one called a "Firebird" I think that had the BW/Habu design. Don't see it on the site any more?

Comment

Firebird.

Comment

Are you going to make your string if so here is the formula if you have a string board to make strings. to make a string for your recurve add 16" to the lenght divide by 2 and subtract 1/2". example 58" bow +16= 74" divide by 2 =37 -1/2" =36 1/2". if you are looking to find your bow lenght then measure from string nock to string nock follow the contour of the limbs to get the correct lenght [back of bow] hope this is what you need.

Comment

can you post any pics. of the bow.

Comment

Que? Thirty-six and a half inch string on a 58"AMO bow?

Comment

Don't know if this helps, but I measured 3 different strings for my 62in recurve and 2 strings for my 62in longbow and they all measure between 59in & 59 1/2in.

Comment

Brute, all that I posted was if you are making your own string, if you are not making your own string just tell the one that is making your string the length of your recurve.

Comment

Thanks Mitch,that was the info I needed.I don't make my own strings yet,I was going to get that video Doing The Twist.Any feedback on that video?
                      Brute I think that is the one I have,man that is a big doe.

Comment

I asked one time but cannot remember how long is that tip to tip Eric. I may have an extra string I can send ya.
                        chris kiefner

Comment

I measured tip to tip following the limbs and it is 62'',so do I need a 59'' string?

Comment

Hey stik, could you post a pic? It could be a Habu. They look a lot like BWs. Shoot pretty good too.

I know a good string maker that could help you out if need-be. Don't know what he charges for strings though. He lives in Georgia, but twists the best strings of anyone, in my opinion. If you follow the TBoT 3D circuit or even just the Hill Country Shootout or TSLC, you may have seen him around.

Let me know and I can get you his email address.

Comment

If the AMO length is 62", you would need a 58" string in a recurve and a 59" string for a longbow. That is the starting point. You can twist the string to get the desired distance from the string to the lowest point on the riser, or fistmele. I usually just shoot the string until most of the stretching is done and then twist it unitl it is in it quietest position, check the fistmele to see that it is within limits and just shoot it.
                              Last edited by Cropduster; 12-27-2006, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X