Draw arm high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw arm high?

So I have been having discomfort in my bow arm shoulder and tricep from overuse and shrugging my shoulder to high. I took this week off. Well I had my wife snap a picture today with a new shirt and noticed my draw armed looked higher than it feels.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post

Thoughts?
    I cant say much about the arm, but I like the shirt

Comment

Not sure if you have tried but one thing I'd suggest is blank bale shooting everyday. Step a few yards away from a blank target and close or cover your eyes and focus on your form: reaching anchor, applying back tension, drawing, elbow position, etc. Don't worry about aiming or where your arrows are hitting but rather on your form 100%. It really makes a big difference! Do some blank bale shooting first thing when you start your practice session and afterwards fling some arrows while focusing on aiming.

You shoulder and elbow do seem kinda of high and I think it looks like you might be lacking the proper back tension but I ain't no coach so take my opinion for what it is. However, I do recommend you find a way to do some blank bale shooting.

The key is to develop muscle memory so you do it automatically and don't have to worry about your form so much while you are shooting. Hope this helps.
      Last edited by Loreva13; 06-06-2014, 05:49 PM.

Comment

I do blank bale. In fact I was not particularly aiming. I dont blank bale in front of a mirror so I had no idea my elbow was still that high. I do have a broken collarbone on that side so I dont feel things normally I suppose.

The front shoulder looks high... but that is a bunched up shirt.

Comment

All I can add is to go ahead and try drawing in front of a mirror and focus on bringing your elbow down. If you feel you can't bring it down anymore because of your broken collar bone it may be something you will have to work around.

Hopefully, some more experienced guys will shine in soon.

Comment

I,m no coach but you asked.

I don't think your using your back at all. It looks to me like your pulling the string back as far as you can with your arm then leaning in with your head to reach your anchor rather than drawing your bow until your shoulder blades come together.

Just my take...... It would be interesting to know how far you are drawing. There is a lot of arrow left sticking out past the bow.

Comment

This thread has some good information that might help you lots.

Be sure to go through the whole thread as it is full of good info.

Comment

Do a Google search for "string bow" to find a thread on "Archery Talk". You can practice in front of the mirror without firing an arrow and learn the "feel" of proper alignment.

I can't tell from the angle of your photo if you are well aligned perpendicular to the target. It almost looks like you are not and that could make the elbow a little high. If you are perfectly aligned, an elbow somewhat high is not a big problem. Lot's of good three under shooters draw with a slightly high elbow.

Just curious, what pound bow are you shooting?

Comment

Originally posted by Loreva13 View Post
                  This thread has some good information that might help you lots.

Be sure to go through the whole thread as it is full of good info.
                  I have read that thread 2x already

It is a good thread and why I instantly noticed my arm high.

Buff is right... it is as if I am stopping my draw and not pulling my shoulder blade down into line. I may need to find a different anchor...

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    I have read that thread 2x already

It is a good thread and why I instantly noticed my arm high.

Buff is right... it is as if I am stopping my draw and not pulling my shoulder blade down into line. I may need to find a different anchor...
                    Awesome! It is a good thread. I know there was another thread talking about the same perimeters with greats tips but I can't remember what it was called or when it is dated.

You may notice when you start using back tension that your draw length may increase a bit.

What helps me with back tension is having second point of anchor for after the shot (follow through). Best way I can explain it is as I release my hand keeps traveling back until I touch my shoulder. I guess it's sort of like I am still drawing my bow string. It is one way of allowing me to engage my back muscles and being consistent.
                    Last edited by Loreva13; 06-06-2014, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Have her take a pic from behind you, as in looking down range. It might help to know if your bow arm and string elbow are in alignment. I would think that might make a difference on if/how you;re reaching a good anchor point. Just my opinion.

Comment

My buddy gave me this recently. It helped me. hope it helps

Jon

Comment

Well this was/is bugging me. So when I got home.... I set up a mirror and drew a few times without a shirt. I am definately putting tension in my back. I even with the elbow up higher. My arm is in alignment from behind.

I have a hunch this is just my collarbone injury rearing it head. See I crushed my collarbone and snappes it in 2 spots. It healed interestingly. My shoulder is 3/4" closer than the other.

I'll make it a priority to see somebody who has a better eye than myself, but I am certain that under my shirt.. my deltoid is bulging and rotated into position.

Bow is 40 pounds.... arrow is 30.5 inches nock groove to insert and my draw is 27".

Comment

Originally posted by moreammo View Post
                            My buddy gave me this recently. It helped me. hope it helps

Jon
                            I can look more like that if I anchor at my chin... but on the side of my face... my elbow has to stay higher...

I had been keeping by bow shoulder too high... and have had to start over a bit recently, forcing myself to put tension in the back and raise the bow arm with my back.

The tell for me was soreness in my bow shoulder and arm... and lack of it in my draw shoulder and arm... instead, I have soreness in my drawing deltoid and none in my bow deltoid.

Comment

I do t see your elbow being all that high so much as a problem as your head leaded up by your left shoulder.

I do it my self when I get tired

The bottom 4 pictures to me anyway are more important than how high your elbow is.
                              Try to pull your bow another inch to where your right elbow comes on around straight with your bow arm...... If that makes any since at all
                              Last edited by Buff; 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X