so far, I've been challenged...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so far, I've been challenged...

I've really enjoyed reading recounts from you Trad hunters. They have all been interesting and somewhat humorous. I thought I'd post a recount of my season, so far. It may not be interesting or humorous, but I find myself laughing, just to keep sane.
    Some may recall from an earlier post, that my recurve developed a serious twist, so I have now retired it. I had practiced with it all year, determined to take a nice Traditional buck this year. Had my blinds set to accomadate the bow and set where I was sure of 12-15 yard opportunities.
    Well, with it on the wall, I revisited my longbow. I love to shoot this bow, but never have been as consistent as I felt I needed to be. I'm still not!
    To keep with the bowhunting, I picked up my son's Mathews and shot it very good (no surprise), on the range. Well, I took it to a tripod setup and promptly "gut-shot" a BBQ pig. This was the first animal I had lost in many years. I think my "push-pull" shooting style I used for the recurve, came out when I shot at the pig. This doesn't work with a compound!
    My next "try" was a Mamba we use for bow fishing. I un-rigged it and tuned it for my broadheads. I remembered how nice this bow shoots. I got it grouping real well and I was excited about the 58 inch limbs...fits well in my ground blinds. This last week, I sat in one and had a very large boar show up right at daylight. I really wanted this hog, as I and the other Traditional guys on my lease have a pool set up for who ever takes the heaviest hog this year. He would put me in the lead, by a long shot. As I watched him devour the corn I had spread, I waited for a quartering shot. After about 5 mins. he presented a perfect angle. As I drew the Mamba, I and the pig realized I should have changed the "side plate" on the bow. After a year of being wet from bowfishing, the plate had turned to some type of vulcanized mess. Drawing the arrow reminded me of Miss Ladwig ( my 3rd grade teacher) dragging her fingernails across the chalk board to get our attention. I hadn't paid attention to this detail while on the range, but it sure was loud, when in a popup with a 200# porker 7 yards away. He was gone...I laughed.
    About 30 mins later I tried to draw on a mature doe. She was gone...I laughed.
    I spent the rest of the morning hunting rabbits.
    The good thing is that our rut has just started, I have a new seal skin rest and plate ordered, and I have several more days planned for the lease. In the meantime, I'm trying to decide on a replacement for my twisted bow.
    Good luck to all, and Merry Christmas.

Sure hope you close the deal on that hog. Sounds like a good one.

Comment

you just gotta laugh to keep from crying

Comment

good luck....

Comment

Until you get your seal skin you might put some mole skin on to quiten it down

Comment

The mole skin is a vast improvement...thanks for the idea.

Comment

Good post yellow feather. Thanks for the story...if it was easy it would not be as enjoyable.

Comment

yep, sometimes you find the little glitch at the wrong time

Comment

Working...
                X