Recurve Envy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve Envy

Well I don't know how y'all do it. Shoot recurves that is...

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm back to strictly shooting my longbow. Got that hog with it the other day. I just couldn't get comfortable with using the recurve. Well, more power to ya. I may try again someday...

Anyway, in case you didn't get to see or participate in my recurve thread before the crash. It ended with a broken string. I had practiced with it ALL summer, even got third place at the midsummer meltdown with it. I suppose I just finally wore the string out and it failled. I finally got a new string in, but just wasn't compelled to shoot my curve. I did carry it to San Saba with me, but the one day I took it out it skeered the hogs off. Too purdy I spose. Actually, the camo tape I had covering the limbs wasn't covering enough and as I was facing the sun, it was putting off quite a glare. The limbs that is, not the tape. The hogs spotted it real quick. So, didn't get a shot.

Recurves are about the purdiest of all the bow types, they just feel clumsy and springy when shot. I envy you fellers what can hang wid'm.

I have just the opposite problem. I really like the weight and the way my Longbows feel in my hand but when the chips are down I shoot my recurves better.

Comment

The only long bow I could shoot was at the PBS, a Tomahawk and an ACS pre-CX. Also I shoot real well with a Martin SAvannah

Comment

curves I shoot best, my Massie longhorn and I just can not seem to be in the right spot for game.

Comment

Tracy
          When we have ower first club shoot in Feb. you can shoot mine or Danny's you could probably shoot them ok.
          David

Comment

David, my recurve is one of Pat's as well. Its the best shooting recurve I've shot. I shoot it better than most recurves.

Mitch I love those Massie longhorns. They're tops if you ask me.

Comment

Mitch,

If that Longhorn is too much for ya, I may know somebody who'll take it off yer hands.....

Comment

OK send me a pm, will talk

Comment

Well, i have shot nothing but my bob lee stick since i went traditional, and just recieved my first recurve and to be honest...... im leaning to the curve side i have shot it for 3 days now and im loving that smooth draw..

Comment

I'm kinda of in the boat with Buff. I like the weight and the feel of the longbow, but I really prefer the extra mass (forgiveness) of the recurve. I probably will always be a curve person, but there will always be a longbow or two in the closet....

Comment

I don't know. I don't find the recurve anymore "forgiving" than the longbow. I think it mostly has to do with what's compatible with your natural form.

For me, I like to hold the heel of my hand low when I'm gripping the handle. Puts less pressure on the navicular in my wrist that I broke back when I was 25ish. The slim lines of the limbs are less distracting in my line of sight. And I don't feel the limbs unfold when I'm drawing like I do with a recurve. Yes, I do feel it in a recurve. I don't need a lot of speed like what can be generated by a recurve though the longbows have come a long way in this area. I like a medium speed, 170ish fps longbow thats stable on the draw and projects a wooden arrow downrange consistantly.

Recurves catch the eye a lot quicker, but I just don't shoot them all that well.

Comment

Tracy, you still have that Wes Martin bow, The Rambler? How do you like it after having it a while, if you still have it?

Comment

Martin, the bow just didn't suit me. Especially the knob at the base of the thumb. There was a fella that wanted to shoot it for a while, so I sent it to him. He now lives in Center, TX. He said he'd buy it from me and we agreed on a price. I've heard no more from him or of the bow since. No money has come my way either. I'm probably going to have to just mark this one down as an overall bad judgement call on my part.

Comment

That's sad, you would hope ever one is honest but that is not the case any more.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.
                              I didn't care too much for that grip, either, although the bow shot o.k..

Comment

Working...
                              X