Which recurve for a rookie??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which recurve for a rookie??

I have been shooting compound bow for a few years now and want to switch over to a recurve. What are some good choices for my first purchase? The only recurve I have shot is a superjet 3350 lol. Any info will help. Thanks

Samick Sage is a great starter bow. You can buy the bow new for under $150. This is an inexpensive way to start out with a manageable lower weight to learn with. You can also get heavier limbs when you are ready for about $75. If you do get a new Sage, get a replacement Flemish twist string for it. The stock strings are doodoo!

If you catch the trad bug, you will move up into customs and be able to sell the Sage for not too much of a loss.

Bisch

Comment

I'm with bisch. I happen to have some other bows of my dads and granddads. But if I was starting out with nothing I'd buy a sage.

Search "3 piece takedown" on here. One guy was selling his and some extra's I believe for about 200. Don't remember everything it had

Comment

3 votes for the Samick Sage - you can easily get what you need from Lancaster Archery Supply - they've usually got a good stock on hand. Just remember you're going to need a lot lower weight than you use on your compound - I'd suggest 35# - there is no let off and no sight, so you want something you can hold for 3 to 5 seconds without having your draw hand start to either shake or creep forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuzzy Dog View Post
          3 votes for the Samick Sage - you can easily get what you need from Lancaster Archery Supply - they've usually got a good stock on hand. Just remember you're going to need a lot lower weight than you use on your compound - I'd suggest 35# - there is no let off and no sight, so you want something you can hold for 3 to 5 seconds without having your draw hand start to either shake or creep forward.
          The good news is that texas no longer has min draw weight required to hunt. Fuzzy is right, 35-40 is a good weight. Don't go any heavier than 45. Since its one of their in stock bows, you should be able to use the 3rivers calc to give you a good idea on arrow shaft and head weight ect for tuning dynamic spine. At the least it will get you into the right ballpark

I hope you have as much fun as I am having with the switch

Comment

I understand the lower weight to get used to the change, but what pound do y'all suggest to hunt with? I hunt both deer and hogs.

Comment

You can also find very good used bows for 150 or 200 bucks.

As far as hunting weight goes, of course the heavier the better to a point. It is more important to hit the right spot than to have a bunch of extra pounds. We have excellent hunters here in our TBH family that are shooting everything from the 30s to the 80s.

If I had to guess, the average for adult men would be mid to upper 50s....but remember a heavy arrow, a sharp broadhead, in the right spot is the winning formula. Weight comes after those things in my opinion.

Comment

Thanks for all the info/advise... I'll be looking into the samick sage for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Samick Sage is a great starter bow. You can buy the bow new for under $150. This is an inexpensive way to start out with a manageable lower weight to learn with. You can also get heavier limbs when you are ready for about $75. If you do get a new Sage, get a replacement Flemish twist string for it. The stock strings are doodoo!

If you catch the trad bug, you will move up into customs and be able to sell the Sage for not too much of a loss.

Bisch
                  I agree with Bisch. I bought my son the Samick Sage for Christmas and he loves it. Nocked and Loaded (Aaron) in Lampasas hooked us up.

Comment

Working...
                  X