Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trad. bowhunting in North Mexico

Good Morning from over the pond.

Well a good frine of mine went to Mexico for a year to worj there. now she said i have to visit her,,

So i thought when i "have to" travel to mexico why not take my bow with me for some bowhunting and maybe also stop by in texas for some days when i already in that part of the world. been way too long since i was bowhunting the last time...

But the main question is, how is the law regarding bows/broadheads, bowhunting in Mexico?

Anyone been there and done that? any recommendations. She lives near the north border, said something about mexicali,
    Would appreciate some information.

Thanks,

Daniel

I do it all the time. I live right at the border.
    If its hunting season, its best to have a contract with the ranch your hunting. Its very inexpensive and that will save you all the trouble.
    The other way you can do it is to say you're going to an archery tournament. (Its not a good idea if you have a bunch of camo with your equipment).
    A bow is classified as a sporting good product and can come and go to and from the border any time. The catch is that you must have proof of proper use of your equipment.
    I hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks! That helps alot!

I really dont want to run in trouble with my stuff in Mexico so if ill go there ill try to get a contract with the ranch.

The question is, what is a "proof of proper use of equipment"?

Thanks alot

Comment

Man I've ran all over mexico with my bows, in and out of seasons and never had a problem. The military might want to look at it but thier main focus is guns, not your bow. I wouldn't worry about it. Go have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by triffnix View Post
          Thanks! That helps alot!

I really dont want to run in trouble with my stuff in Mexico so if ill go there ill try to get a contract with the ranch.

The question is, what is a "proof of proper use of equipment"?

Thanks alot
          Just a contract from the ranch will be OK. Or maybe an ID from an archery club will work as well.
          Like Mexico said, you can easily get away with it. Most checkpoints won't care. This is just to be safe and avoid getting chewed or trying to explain in spanish.

Comment

I need to pay attention to this thread, I got invited to hunt with a friend next year. He needs help with culls, tough job but I'll always help a friend out

Comment

Just make sure you don't have any ammunition tucked away anywhere.

Comment

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                Just make sure you don't have any ammunition tucked away anywhere.
                This for sure!!!

Comment

Mexicali?! I used to live just across the border from Mexicali! That was for about 2-3 years in the mid-90's, though. Beautiful desert scenery, friendly folks and great food!

Mexicali is the capital of Baja California Norte, the northern Mexican state of the Baja California peninsula. So it's too far of a drive from Texas, unless you don't mind a two-day drive. Back then, the population was about 750,000 or so. Have no idea how big it is now. I used to go there all the time for haircuts, dentist, pharmacy, etc. because it was always much cheaper than on the U.S. side. It also has some awesome restaurants, especially seafood brought in from the Gulf of California/Sea of Cortez and the Pacific, and believe it or not, it has awesome Chinese restaurants, too, or at least it did when I lived by there!

But whatever you do, do NOT go there in the summer!!! I can't stress this enough. When I lived there, it got up to 124 degrees Fahrenheit, with a night time low that would not go below 100. The locals on both sides of the border used to call it the "thermonuclear" summer - verano termonuclear in Spanish. July and August were the worst, but pretty much late May to mid-October was brutally hot, albeit a dry heat with low humidity. Every year, there were always a few folks who would die from the heat and dehydration. But Spring, Fall and Winter were awesome!

If you have no choice but to go in the summer, then head to San Felipe, about 1.5 - 2 hrs drive southeast, for a nice, relaxing, laid back little beach town and awesome fresh seafood. It's still brutally hot, and the water may be a bit too warm, but at least you can take a dip and cool off somewhat. Otherwise, head west into the higher mountain elevations to a town called Tecate, where they brew Tecate beer. If I remember correctly, it's about a 1-2 hour drive west. Oh, and there are also mountain lions in those mountains, too!

Anyway, I have no idea about the hunting laws and regulations in Mexico. I was always too afraid of getting arrested to bring in anything resembling a weapon the many times I've gone to Mexico. You might want to check the nearest Mexican consulate in Austria and see what they say.

One important note: Mexicali and the surrounding Imperial Valley border of California used to be a well-known, heavy smuggling corridor for the West Coast. I'm guessing it probably still is, and considering the recent spate of ultra violent drug cartel wars, keep a low profile and be careful if you end up going to that area, or any northern Mexico area, including the rural areas.

Definitely take lots of pictures!

Comment

thanks for all the great info! Good read Equin!

Well there is no way ill have ammo with me.
                    but maybe a knife and bow. Problem is i speak no spanish at all and i really dont want to get in trouble in mexico!

well ill have to go before end of august cause then she will come back. now i is not possible cause ill not get off work till july so the only time wllbe in the early august..

I alsodont want to go totexas by car i probably will take a short flight to dallasor so.

we will see. Sure wold e cool. especially i reallylike seafood and chinese food

Thanks!
                    Daniel

Comment

Working...
                    X