Some Arrow Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some Arrow Help

Hey guys. I know by this point y'all are probably sick of all my questions, but I figure its better to ask away
    I'm looking at getting some arrows, proobably Golden Tip, but I'm not sure how exactly to go about it. I'll be hunting with either one of two bows, a selfbow thats unmarked but I believe in the 50-55 pound ballpark, or my grandfathers old Black Widow thats I believe 45@28. Can't confirm because the bow is buried somewhere from a move.
    What I was hoping to do was be able to get a dozen arrows that I could use for either of these bows (Obviously I would have to change tip weight potentially to affect Dynamic Spine). Is there any size y'all would suggest for this, or would y'all even consider doing this if you were in my position?
    Also, any advice on insert weight, added weight, and so on would be much appreciated.
    I draw to 27" if that's any help.
    Thanks guys, Jake

I shoot 50 lb bows and also have a 27" draw.

I shoot full length Goldtip 3555s with 200-250 grains in the front to get the spine right.

Comment

I'm an oddball, I draw 27"s and pull 48-50#s and shoot 55/75 GTs cut at 29"s with 200 grain point weight with a total weight of 514 grains. This is with the traditional shafts, the GT hunter shafts (55/75) tune out at 28 and 5/8"s. They (the camo hunter shafts) seem to be weaker spined than the traddys. All my bows run the same weight so I can use the same arrows in all of them.

Comment

I just ran the Black Widow through the Stu Miller calculator (assuming 45# @28, drawn to 27#) The combo below came out as almost a perfect match for that bow. (that does not mean it will be perfect but should be close)
        *GT 3555 shafts cut to 28.75"
        *150gr point
        * 50gr insert
        * 3 five inch feathers

The string will make a difference too - the default on the calculator is 14 strand FastFlight

That's a total arrow weight of 439gr (10.4GPP)
        Last edited by jerp; 02-07-2014, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks jerp. Stu Miller, I've been toying with the one on 3rivers for a couple days, but I couldn't remember the one you guys talk about pretty consistently. Hopefully I'll find the bow when I go home next weekend so I can get my arrows in the mail

Comment

TTT for a little more advice?

Comment

I would vote for 35/55s. Carbon arrows seem to be pretty tolerant of spine variations. I have showed up at 3d tourneys with the wrong arrows,(55/75 instead of 35/55) and not even noticed it till after several targets. Of course this was with field points, broadheads probably might of been less forgiving. Have even shot 35/55s off selfbows although to me thats what wood arrows are meant for.

Comment

I can get you some Bloodsport arrows in 400 or 500 spine if you want to go that route

Comment

The GT's should be fine - set them up with a point weight that puts the balance point at about 2/3rds of the way down the arrow toward the point. That should give you roughly the right FOC for those arrows. If they show a little weak with field points on them, that's great - they'll show stiffer with broadheads.

Comment

Since Seacoal has got yall's attention, I might as well ask too.
                    I have a Ben Pearson Stallion that is #45 at 28" and I'll be pulling it to roughly 30 inches.
                    I want as heavy as an arrow as possible, I was looking at the Gold Tip Traditional 7595s with a 50 grain insert, 175 grain Ace Archery tackle tip and a 42 grain aluminum adapter. Would those still be too stiff or be too front heavy for that bow?

Comment

Working...
                    X