Three under questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Three under questions

I have shot split finger for about three years. I recently switched to three under in an attempt to gain more accuracy by gap shooting. I shot compounds for almost 20 years so guessing yardage is something I do second nature. I figured I might as well embrace my yardage guesses and try gap shooting.

So far I like it. I like it alot. In fact, I should of done it a long time ago. I have noticed a couple of things. My bow is a little louder. I shoot a Hoyt Dorado with TT Blackmax medium limbs. Not a big deal but it is a little louder. I may not be getting a clean release since this method of shooting is still new to me. Any other noise idea? It is more of a TWANG sound so I still suspect my release.

I have a longbow I shoot also. I do not know what if it is tillered to shoot three under or split. It was an in stock bow. The bowyer recently passed so I cant ask him. If the bow is tillered to shoot split finger will it harm it to shoot three under? Is there anyway to tell what the bow is tillered for as far as split or three under?

When gap shooting how do you adjust for tree stand shooting? For example my 10 yard gap is about 13 inches. How would I aim at a deer in a treestand with this kind of gap? Granted I only hunt about 12-14 foot off the ground.

I like three under too.
    It's always a bit louder to me on both my long bows and recurves.

I would think that your gap would not change if it is a true ten yards. Now if it's ten yards out and five yards down, the measurements is going to be more than the ten yards. Did that make sense?

Comment

I'm sure those with more experience than I will chime in, but from what I've read and from asking several bowyers about it, tillering for 3 under makes such a small difference it is not noticeable in most cases. As far as noise, it is common for three under to be louder.

Comment

3 under is almost always louder to some degree and as stated above the tiller is no big difference. I have ilf bows tillered to shoot 3 under and split and the performance is the same.

Can't help with the gap question.

Comment

To check the tiller on the longbow, here is what you do:

Using a bow square, measure the distance from the limb to the string at the fadeout (on a one piece bow), or from where the limb meets the riser (on a takedown bow). Do this on both limbs.

If the measurements ar the same, then the bow is tillered for 3-under.

If the measurement is from 1/8" to 3/8" more on the top limb then the bow is tillered fro split.

It will not hurt anything if the bow is tillered one way, and you shoot it the other way. In some cases it will not be quite as accurate, and in some cases it may have a bit more noise than usual.

Bisch
          Last edited by Bisch; 02-04-2014, 05:25 PM.

Comment

I'm no help at all, I shoot three under and typically like my bottom limb positive by 1/4" or about an inch longer top limb. I also typically shoot with my arrow completely square to the string, 3/16-1/4 nock height so that might have something to do with it

Comment

I think your noise may be the grip you have on the string. You may be pulling with too much pressure on your bottom finger. When you do that, the string has to jump back to it's normal alignment causing more twang in the shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                I think your noise may be the grip you have on the string. You may be pulling with too much pressure on your bottom finger. When you do that, the string has to jump back to it's normal alignment causing more twang in the shot.
                that is a good point. I start my draw with three but drop my ring finger almost completely off the string by the time I get to anchor. The release is not noticeably louder than drawing split.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                    that is a good point. I start my draw with three but drop my ring finger almost completely off the string by the time I get to anchor. The release is not noticeably louder than drawing split.
                    I think a lot of people do that as do I. I've posted this picture before but you can see that my ring finger is barely on the string and the string is barely out of alignment. Friends comment a lot on how quite my bow shoots.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                    X