Hog vitals / arrow placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog vitals / arrow placement

Where would ya'll say is the best place to try and place your arrow on a hog ?
    I have always heard on a broadside shot that it needs to be low, but I've also heard anywhere from tight against the shoulder to a little further back than you would shoot a deer. I've shot a couple hogs in the past but I still don't know exactly where the best place to try a hit one with trad equip is.

Thanks for the info in advance !

This pic can be found at http://www.texasboars.com/anatomy.html

Comment

Tradag,
      That explains it better than anything I've ever seen before.
      Appreciate the help !!!

Comment

I know one thing, don't hit em too far off the shoulder! I shot one a little far back but low like I was told...she ran a long away and lost alot of blood but was never recovered. I feel confident that the same shot on a deer would have been a short recovery. Buff will probably chime in when he sees this and he is a good source as he has accounted for a few piggies meeting their demise!

Comment

That pic is very informative. I once connected with what looked like a high lung shot and the hog fell over on it's side and started doing that spinning around break-dancing thing. Turns out I had spined him. I did not realize how low the spine is - runs thru the upper third of the body as you get closer to the head.

Comment

My 47# Caddo has made some good far back in the rib shots. I stay away from the armor plate on a big hog if possible. A clear kidney shot worked well once. I had a 200 plus hog go about 40 yards. Once you hit, you have to listen with your eyes. Many times this will be where the hog piles up. Then listen for the death squeel. Like sometimes grown men cry out for mamma just before they die, hogs seem to do the same, just before they have their last breath, it is an eirie soundm like a young piglet.

Comment

the hog death-squeal is one few forget...

anyway, this pic is the best illustration of the hog's shooting zone i've seen. i see why so may get spined and how they are typically shot too far back. thanks for the post TradAg..

my traditional is a 1973 55# Fred Bear Kodiak

Comment

Yep, very low and very forward. The Great Buff, who has shot as many pigs as anyone, even me and I am probably over a hundred, says """"Try to shoot them quartering away if at all possible"""" He says, and I always listen to him, the recovery rate with the quartering shot is much higher, even than the broadside. It is too easy to let your arrow drift too far back. An arrow moving forward will get the good stuff..........Buff if I miss quoted you, speak up.

Comment

Once again, appreciate the advice.
                  Anyone else...

Comment

I must be hunting the wrong hogs, mine do not have the cut-outs.

Comment

Funny mitch, that hole was made by a new expandable broadhead that I think was manufactured at A & M.

I would shoot them, but I don't think they are very traditional.

Comment

Look out Chunky, your going to get in trouble (haha).

Comment

Low and Tight unless you like to Climb...

Comment

Man that really clears up shot placement. I am going to start holding a little more forward.

Comment

I don't climb to well Ragie, but I do looove a good tussle.

Comment

Working...
                              X