Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently 58 is enough

Me and my BFF Chunky are getting old.
    Just a little at a time but we are getting there.
    One of the many things that is slipping is our ability to shoot the heavy weight bows we have always used.
    He has been casting around for something lighter, something in the 65 pound range for several months. I have a 65 that is my go to bow now days, so we knew 65 would get it done.
    A couple of weeks ago a fine fellow posted to sell a 58 @ 28 PCH
    Chunky posted on the thread that while he really liked the price, he just wished it was 10 pounds heavier. To help keep are 10 year long joke going, I bought it and had them send it to him.
    Mark brought it up to the farm last weekend so we could tune it, I'm really OCD about everything being perfect, Chunky...... Not so much.
    As luck would have it the little bow shot great when we bare shafted it with a 29" heritage 150 shaft and 145 grain head.
    It did not go as smooth as it sounds and my Niece asked us that night, is that all y'all ever do , just take turns hitting each other in the nuts?

I got word this morning Marks first shot at a game animal was perfect.
    The big doe only went 50 yards after the shot. This bow has some serious Mojo.

We have had the good fortune to be able to hunt with heavy bows for years but it is good to know as we slid down the hill, we can still cleanly kill what we shoot at.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	25002033
    Last edited by Buff; 12-29-2013, 07:57 AM.

Great to hear. Getting older is a bear but it beats the alternative.

Comment

Congrats to Mark on the doe!

In a few more years, y'all will be shooting girly bows, like me!

I been telling you for years that 50# will get it done (just got to leave the buffalos out of the discussion)!

Bisch

Comment

Way to go Chunky!!!

Buff, that is pretty KOOL of you to buy him that "sissy" bow

For me, I'll stick with my "girly, sissy" bows even lighter than that

Comment

Thanks Marty. I think we always knew if you hit them right. It doesn't take much weight. It's when you hit a big bone or something you are glad for the extra punch.

Not OCD Chunky

Comment

I know you young fellows are just joking around but learning and then learning to accept that with age comes limitations is part of growing old. The more you abuse and neglect your body when young the more it rebels as age catches you.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
              Thanks Marty. I think we always knew if you hit them right. It doesn't take much weight. It's when you hit a big bone or something you are glad for the extra punch.

Not OCD Chunky
              Brother, I never doubted for a second what you fellows know. I was just playing, my shoulders don't allow me to shoot the heavy weights any longer... Enjoy your new bow my friend

Mr Cooper, you're correct... I pay daily for my rodeo and ranch days with every step I take.

Comment

Cool story. Go put another notch on that bow soon.

Comment

Originally posted by caughtandhobble View Post
                  Brother, I never doubted for a second what you fellows know. I was just playing, my shoulders don't allow me to shoot the heavy weights any longer... Enjoy your new bow my friend
                  That just me trying to justify the silliness of shooting an 80 lb bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
                    That just me trying to justify the silliness of shooting an 80 lb bow.
                    No what is silly is trying to post on threads over on Campfire why you shoot a .45 over a 9 or 40. Sheesh

Comment

I am glad that bow is in good hands, it was nice dealing with you Buff and it is awesome to see Chunky draw blood with it so soon. Good shooting.

Comment

Nice job on the doe Mark!

Comment

Awesome, I dont shoot anything over about 46#. My recurve is 43# and you should see the surprise on the faces of my hunting buddies when I get a pass through

Comment

wait!! Marks not OCD??? what sector(s) do you cover?? might need to re-arrange some routes

Kidding! Congratulations on the sissy bow doe!!

Comment

58# had better be enough, since 52# has been getting it done for me for many years now!

Congrat's on the doe!

Comment

Working...
                              X