upper limb tweaked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

upper limb tweaked

I pulled the old recurve out and shot it a llttle.....felt good. Then, I noticed the upper limb seems to be warped a little and now the string does not return to the string groove in the middle. It is off to the side a little.

Can I bend the laminated limbs back to normal ?? Or would that take tremendous heat and pressure ??

Thanks..

I hade a late 50s Black Widow given to me that a guy retrieved from his friends burn barrel. The guy new I was a trad shooter and hated seeing such a pretty bow burned. It didn't have a string on it when I got it so I built one and strung it up. The top limb was twisted just a little. The string was about a strings width to the side of the string groove. I just twisted the limb back the opposite way and held it for about 45 seconds and when it came back to rest the string was where it needed to be. I left it strung for a few days then shot it. had to twist it a couple times while shooting it and it stayed. PM Bob Sarrels, he can give you a better way.

Comment

I search this on the INTERNET once when I had a bow that had a twisted limb. There was lots of information on straightening a twisted limb.
      I just returned the bow back to the guy that I had bought it from, but I believe that it can be fixed.

Comment

Thanks Trad"Doc"53 !!! I will try to tweak it back. If that doesn't do well I will contact Bob Sarrels.

I need to be careful here......if I get to talking to Bob, I am afraid this will cost me a new bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
          I search this on the INTERNET once when I had a bow that had a twisted limb. There was lots of information on straightening a twisted limb.
          I just returned the bow back to the guy that I had bought it from, but I believe that it can be fixed.
          Great advise !! Sounds like it is doable

Comment

I believe Ron Maloni has had good success straightening limbs on older bows. I think he uses a hot wet towel and wraps it around the limb. Might PM him for details.

Matt

Comment

If it is not too bad, sometimes you can get the twist out by just twisting the limb the other direction a bit. A couple of soft clamps and a blow dryer can work wonders too!

Bisch

Comment

thanks Matt and Bisch. hot towel or blow dryer sounds good !!

Comment

Originally posted by trad"Doc"53 View Post
                  I hade a late 50s Black Widow given to me that a guy retrieved from his friends burn barrel. The guy new I was a trad shooter and hated seeing such a pretty bow burned. It didn't have a string on it when I got it so I built one and strung it up. The top limb was twisted just a little. The string was about a strings width to the side of the string groove. I just twisted the limb back the opposite way and held it for about 45 seconds and when it came back to rest the string was where it needed to be. I left it strung for a few days then shot it. had to twist it a couple times while shooting it and it stayed. PM Bob Sarrels, he can give you a better way.
                  Did the same thing with a Bear bow. After a few times of twisting and leaving strung string came to rest back inline every time.

Comment

Looks like there is HOPE

thanks for all the help !! I will post the results. Let the tweaking begin !!

Comment

Use heat ONLY when twisting and drawing do not work. And I use hot tap water then cold to set right at the sink. best of luck its a common issue from back in the day when no one used a stringer.

Comment

Working...
                      X