What poundage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What poundage?

I'm trying to get into trad and don't know what poundage to shoot. I shoot 60# on a wheel bow, used to 70# no problem.

45# would be about right until you get it all figured out.
    I started at 55 # and it was very hard and took much longer than it should have

Comment

I shot 70# compounds and started at a 50# bow when I switch, yes I could shoot it but it wasn't until an injury forced me into a 43# bow that I learn how over bowed I was at 50#'s starting out.... If I had to throw out a rule of thumb on it.... I'd say start out with what ever bow you can hold at full draw as steady as you can hold your compound for 7-8 seconds

Comment

I was pulling a 70# compound and when I made the switch I start with 40# limbs which equate to around 44# at my draw length on my Samick Sage.

Comment

I switched from a 65# compound to a 40# recurve and I'm glad I went that low for my first traditional bow. I shot it for 8-9 months before going up to a 50# bow. Then, it took me a month or so of shooting every day before I was as comfortable with the 50 as I had been with the 40. Fortunately the basic elements of my form were pretty ingrained by that time so trying to pull the heavier weight didn't screw me up - just a matter of toning up the "string-pulling muscles" in my back through repetition.

Comment

Better to go too light and learn proper form than too heavy and be saddled with poor technique for years (like I did!). I started with a 65# recurve. Wish I had started with a 40# bow.

Comment

All the above. Start light or you may never overcome the bad habits ingrained by to much weight starting out.

Comment

Thanks guys, guess I'll start around 45#

Comment

Also be sure that's 45# at your draw length. Trad. bows are usually measured at 28" and if you pull past that, you can add 2-3# per inch. So if your draw is 30", for example, that 45# bow will actually be about 50# at your anchor. Likewise, if you draw less than 28" it will be less than 45#.

Comment

Good luck.. Your going to enjoy your new venture

Comment

It's my understanding that Fred Bear shot over 80#, if so that's pretty dang impressive!

Comment

Yes it is! He's kind of a big deal around here

Comment

my first bow was 60# and than I got a 70# bow it wasn't until I understood bow performance is that a kinetic energy gain increases at smaller increments at higher bow poundage. I think that a 550grain arrow shoots almost the same out of a 55# bow as a 70# plus noise. get a 45# bow and shoot a 500gr arrow. also limb design also pertains to effeciency

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Destroyer View Post
                            It's my understanding that Fred Bear shot over 80#, if so that's pretty dang impressive!
                            Alot of the old time guys shot heavier poundage. They did not have r/d bows and materials like there is today. A 50#, well tuned, bow with a razor sharp cut-on-contact broadhead will kill anything in N America if the shot is well placed!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Deer Destroyer View Post
                              Although he could have, I'm pretty sure he used a 65# bow for his Grizzly and Polar bears, and at least one elephant.

And as Bisch points out, 65# in the 1960's with a dacron string probably wasn't a barn burner compared to some of the bows and materials used today.

Comment

Working...
                              X