No announcement yet.

High end trad bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John it is the IBO mid America trad tourney dates March 7-9 -2014 hope you and many more people can make this shoot. IBO is trying a come back in Tx . I like there format and it will be good for archery in Tx.

Comment

Originally posted by Limbwalker View Post
      Self, when is that Chester shoot? That's not too far from me. If I'm not busy, I may have to wander over and see what's up.

I haven't shot 3D since college, back in the late 80's in Nacogdoches. Guess I got bored with it and moved on. Not sure. Something about target archery has always appealed to me. Go figure.
      Chester will be having 2 shoots, on the is the IBO on Mar 7th -9th http://www.ibo.net/schedule_Tradevents.php, and then the other is the Glen Parker Shoot, May 17-18, http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=396678. My son and I plan on being there at both of them. My son took 3rd in class last year, but has moved up in the age group, so he might not do as well.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I may have some students who will want to go. They've been asking me about 3D lately.

I have my hands full just shooting and coaching indoor and outdoor target archery. Then there's field and clout, and now 3D. ha, ha. Not enough weekends in the year.

No wonder I hardly get to fish or play golf anymore.

And I love to fish AND play golf....

Comment

Thanks for the info! I may have some students who will want to go. They've been asking me about 3D lately.

I have my hands full just shooting and coaching indoor and outdoor target archery. Then there's field and clout, and now 3D. ha, ha. Not enough weekends in the year.

No wonder I hardly get to fish or play golf anymore.

And I love to fish AND play golf....
          Hehe. Mr. M is going back to the dark side...
          Might see you out there!

My students LOVED the 3D shoot we did earlier in the year. Several of the families signed up to become members of the club that hosted the 3D, and the club subsequently offered to further support our club. Great collaboration effort. AND, the kids got to see other types of archers - trad bows they had not seen before etc.

Comment

Lynda, I've been thinking about adding some 3D to our local club, as I've yet to meet a kid that doesn't want to shoot a 3D animal target at least some of the time!

Funny that 3D is the dark side. LOL.

I actually remember archery - field archery - before 3D ever existed. No, I'm not that old, but it wasn't that long ago that 3D was 2D foam targets, and before that, 2D paper animal faces hung on NFAA field courses.

I recall back in the late 70's walking around a few field archery courses near Tyler, TX and shooting both field and "hunter" rounds with my dad and brother. This was when we were all VERY new to target archery and had no idea about any kind of official rounds, etc. But back then, nobody had even heard of 3D because it didn't exist yet! ha, ha.

Heck, probably half the guys at that time were still shooting recurves - with (gasp!) SIGHTS on them! ha, ha, ha.

Anyway, yes, 3D is fun and I always looked at it as great practice for real hunting situations. That's how I always approached it when I shot it. When the boys started shooting overdraws and 70# bows and trigger releases and scopes, that's when I stepped away from 3D. I shot with the traditional guys (all 5 of us!) but the competition just wasn't really there in that division at the time. All 5 of us knew where we were going to place every time out.

Anyway, it's always interesting to me to see how the sport has changed since the 70's and how we rediscover things we used to know sometimes.

Comment

You see, you gotta leave yourself room to grow.

Paint yourself in a corner with labels and definitions, and one day you may find you're the only one standing there.
              I'm doing my best to stop growing.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                I'm doing my best to stop growing.
                Well Deb, I guess there is value in knowing what you want and understanding your limitations too.

Comment

Well Deb, I guess there is value in knowing what you want and understanding your limitations too.
                  HEY!! Are you saying that I can't lose this weight?? lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
                    HEY!! Are you saying that I can't lose this weight?? lol.
                    This is the most loaded question on this whole thread!!!!

Comment

Lynda, I've been thinking about adding some 3D to our local club
                      <snip cool reminiscing>
                      When the boys started shooting overdraws and 70# bows and trigger releases and scopes, that's when I stepped away from 3D.
                      I totally understand that. As you know, most of my archery time has been on the 3D course with a compound bow; quickly outgrowing my Diamond and laying down the $$ on a Hoyt. I thought the handful of trad guys were just old school geezers who didn't keep up with the times. (sorry!). That's partly due to the other archers I was running with. That is until I got my longbow, learned how to shoot it (thanks Rod!), and took it to 3D. Wow! What a blast. I shot with the trad guys, had much fun and made new friends. Totally different vibe.

All of this to say, it's horses for courses. That's an old British idiom that fits perfectly. I am spending more time talking to my students about where they want to go with their archery before they get pigeon holed, and am trying to expose them to as much as possible.

Wow, we really took this thread of the rails didn't we.

So... about high end trad bows...

Comment

This thread has seemed to meander from its original topic

Comment

Originally posted by bob sarrels View Post
                          This thread has seemed to meander from its original topic
                          Ya think? ha, ha.

Threads tend to do that though.

What do folks consider "high end custom" bows anyway?

Is there any difference between a bow I order from Bob's discount list and one I order to my spec's from Martin archery?

Where do we draw the line? Do you have to personally know the bowyer? Meet them in person? Does the bow have to have your name on it or is it still considered a "custom" if you bought it from the person it was custom-made for?

Just tryin' to understand the new "trad" rules after 10+ years.

Comment

Ya think? ha, ha.

Threads tend to do that though.

What do folks consider "high end custom" bows anyway?

Is there any difference between a bow I order from Bob's discount list and one I order to my spec's from Martin archery?

Where do we draw the line? Do you have to personally know the bowyer? Meet them in person? Does the bow have to have your name on it or is it still considered a "custom" if you bought it from the person it was custom-made for?

Just tryin' to understand the new "trad" rules after 10+ years.
                            There's no new trad rules that I know of... There is a new breed of trad shooters. Pick up your choice of 3D bows and make a few shoots next year, I'm guessing you may gain a new respect for the shooters that you are visiting with on this site. I have found unlike many trad sites, this is the one site that most folks play down there shooting abilities instead of the other way.

Bob's discount bows have done very well at the World Shoot and the deer woods. I don't know about Martin's bows, I have never shot one. Heck Arvin's ole Selfbows shoot better than most bows that I have picked up, and they have a few world titles to boot. Most of the folks that I know feel like they have a top of the line custom bow in either of the bows I mentioned. That's all I can say about top of the line bows, other than a top of the line custom bow is one that suits an individual well.

Comment

How do you like the new sky stuff john?

Comment

Working...
                              X