Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a rush

It is to hunt with a trad bow.

Went out this afternoon to relax and maybe get a shot at something. Took my Tablet with me to read a book and wasn't even paying attention. At about 6:45, I finish a chapter and do my look around. What the, a deer ten yards from me eating hand corn I slowly put my tablet down and reach for my bow. About that time he picks his head up and I notice he is the cull buck that I messed up on a few weeks ago. Game on
    He put his head back down and I start my draw cycle, look around, pick a spot, etc. As I look around I see another, bigger buck coming down the trail behind my cull. My eyes light up and I shift my concentration to the other one. 20 yards and closing. Found the corn and put his head down, feeding towards me. 18 yards he turns broadside but a limb is in the way. Cull is 13 yards feeding towards feeder, clear shot with vitals fully exposed. I want the bigger one. He keeps coming, 12 yards and slightly quartering away a bush covering the vitals. Takes a step with his off leg and clears bush. I come to half draw and wait for his near leg to move. Picks his head up and looks me square in the eye. I close one eye and squint with the other so he does not see the whites. Heart is in my throat, I am a statue. The wind dies down and he looks on. 2 hours pass, in my mind, and still he looks on.
    He puts his head down, I open my eyes and pick a hair to shoot at. Leg starts toward and tension on string tightens. Then he pivots and trots back the way he came
    Cull is still there, but too close for me to move without spooking him. After a minute he follows his buddy out.
    So close, so far, but what a rush, lol I hunt from the ground in brush blinds, so that makes it harder/funer. I still don't know why the buck spiked, maybe I stared too hard, maybe my chair squeeked, but what a rush.

Man, that must have been awesome!!!

Comment

You just gotta love it

Comment

That is the moments we live for !

Comment

Isn't that a great feeling? In hunt with wheels on my bow but I like to draw them in close, traditional close.
          Congrats on a fine hunt. Your getting closer.

Comment

I know you will keep at it.

Comment

cool great day

Comment

Man I got little bit of a rush just reading that. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Awesome Alex! A lot of folks who don't do this don't understand how and "unsuccessful" hunt can be sooooooooooooooo "successful"!

Get him next time!

Bisch

Comment

Nothing like having a great hunt even if you don't draw blood.

Comment

. Cull is 13 yards feeding towards feeder, clear shot with vitals fully exposed. I want the bigger one.
                      Well THERE'S your problem. LOL!

As soon as I read that, I knew both bucks lived. ha, ha, ha.

Been there, done that man. Ain't it great!?!

Right now, I'm as frustrated as I've been in a while, but experience has taught me to just keep tryin' and I'll be rewarded for my persistence eventually.

So will you. Keep at it.

Comment

All for wanting a bigger buck as my first trad deer, lol

I got greedy, but hey that's why it's hunting and not killing. Here is the buck, he is pretty decent.

Comment

Awesome write-up! You are right on about how time seems to stand still during those moments - timeless predator/prey stuff.

Comment

I loved the story and having been there, anticipated the finish. I love it when that happens to me, because just getting that close, is a win for me.

Comment

That's why they call it hunting, lol. Great story, if you keep getting that close it will happen!

Comment

Working...
                              X