Recurve Bow Length

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recurve Bow Length

I'm in the research phase of selecting a recurve to learn the traditional shooting. My calculated draw length is 29", so I found a chart that recommended that my bow length should be between 68-70". Seems like an awful tall recurve bow. I'm 6'3", do I really need that long of a bow? Also, if this was a really dumb question, just delete the thread. I have been reading all kind of stuff on here and couldn't find the answer.

According to the Blackwidow bow site you should get a 60-62 inch bow. I like a longer bow. I draw 27" and shoot 62" recurves when a 58"-60" is recommended.

I think a 60"-64" would be fine for a 29" draw.

Comment

Outstanding! Thank you MEB.

Comment

I think it depends on the limb profile. The limb profile determines what kind of draw length you can get out of what length of bow without it stacking. Cody Dumont, for example, makes a 43" recurve that's good up to 28".

Comment

I'm 6' and have a 29 1/2" draw length. All my bows are 62" and I don't have any problems with them. I have tried some shorter bows and did not like the results.

I would think you would be just fine with anything over 60" long.

Bisch

Comment

Also be careful that you do not choose a bow that is too long, which could limit the working part of the recurve limbs and reduce performance. Also, you will normally loose about 1" of draw length going to a recurve (from a compound), so keep that in mind. Call Bob Sarrels. He can guide you into the correct length.

I only draw about 27" but shoot a Dan Toelke Kestral 52" recurve. This little package can be drawn to 29" without stacking and works great for shorter pop-up blinds.

Best of luck.

Doug Key

Comment

Thanks guys, I came to the right place!

Comment

I have bows from 48" to 68". This year I am hunting with a 52" Bear Kodiak Magnum.
                It has some finger pinch but who's is going to notice that while hunting. My draw is about 29"

I think that the important part is that the bow manufacturer says that the bow will accommodate your draw length. Not so much for stacking, but for the integrity of the bow. All bows stack some, but you wouldn't want to break one from overdrawing.

Comment

I have a26 " draw and I shoot 62 and have had shorter bows but I personally prefer longer bows.

Comment

It wasn't that long ago that a 64" bow was considered "Short" .

I'll offer this piece of advice... it is a lot easier to learn to shoot a longer bow well than a shorter bow.

I have a couple of Bob Sarrels longbows that are 58" and I'd not want anything shorter. My draw length is 28"

Comment

I draw 28.5 and I have a 56" recurve that draws just fine. The longest bow I have is 62", not counting my selfbow. I prefer a shorter bow for hunting.

Comment

I think it's more of a personal preference and how much finger pinch you can put up with. I have a 28.5 inch draw and prefer 60" or longer bows. I can shoow shorter ones, I have a 52" Kodiak Mag, but like the way longer bows feel and shoot.

LD

Comment

I've seen you guys make a couple of references on here to charts. I may have done it wrong, but believe that I have a 31" draw (that's from the "v" between my thumb and forefinger to the corner of my mouth). Since I'm relatively new to all this, any chance that you guys could post a link pls?

Comment

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Wait up here guys...

Bow length is dependent on a LOT of things. The length you found on that chart was undoubtedly for an Olympic style recurve, and it would be correct. But you're not asking about an Olympic style recurve. You're probably asking about a hunting bow, right?

Well, we have to remember that RISER LENGTH and GEOMETRY makes a huge difference in what length bow you need.

Case in point - if you shoot a Martin recurve, they have very little deflex and a very neutral geometry. Good for speed, but they stack earlier than a bow of the same length that has more deflex or a shorter riser.

For my Olympic bow, I shoot a 72" bow. Yes, that's not a typo. My draw length is 32.5" with that bow. However, I've shot hunting bows as short as 60" with no issues - and here's the kicker... - WITH THE SAME SET OF LIMBS. Yes, that's right. I took the limbs off my Olympic bow and put them on a short riser with the proper geometry and I could still shoot it just fine.

One of the reasons I have a Trad Tech Black Onyx 15" riser is because of the geometry of that particular riser. Most other 15" risers are too straight for me. I have a 31" draw with a traditional hunting bow, anchoring in the corner of my mouth. You can get away with a less deflexed (straighter) riser or a longer riser, if your draw is less than that.

So, that's a long winded way of saying "it depends". It depends on WHICH bow you're talking about, as to what length you need.

Comment

So, here's what I'm talking about...

Bottom photo is a Martin Hunter. An absolute classic and a very fast bow. BUT... do not try to draw it past 29" ! Because you will hit a wall.

Top photo is a Bear Kodiak Magnum - the quintessential "short" recurve at 52". It will handle the same draw lengths as the Martin Hunter that is 10" longer, because of the geometry. Look at that extreme deflex and those limb angles. Look how short the distance from one limb fade to the next is...

So you gotta think about what bow you're talking about first and what your needs are... Longer bows are usually more forgiving and have less finger pinch, but they are also a tad slower, and a LOT harder to fit in a ground blind or tree stand.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Limbwalker; 11-01-2013, 07:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X