What would YOU do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would YOU do?

Suppose, hypothetically, that you had one of your favourite bamboo arrows break somewhere in the middle, with the nearest node being about an inch and a half away.

And suppose that in an effort to fix it, you sanded both ends flat, drilled a hole in both ends, and used a poplar dowel inserted in the holes, and epoxied it all back together.

Would you shoot it?

I haven't shot it yet, but I'm thinking about the fact that I've made spliced/footed arrows before without worrying about them breaking, and I used wood glue on those, but epoxy on this one, and I'm thinking that if it's okay to shoot an arrow spliced with a v-splice, that it ought to be okay to shoot one spliced with a round dowel type splice.

I wonder what Jesus would do.

I would shoot it with no worries at all. That is technically what a footed shaft is anyway; 2 pieces of wood glued together.

Comment

The difference is that a footed splice is at the front of the arrow where no flexing is taking place.

If, IF, your repair were to break it would break on either side of your dowel as it would be the strongest point and would not flex. It may make the arrow over spined.

Comment

That is true. The only issue I really see is being over spined. I don't think it would be a hazard though.

Comment

On the other hand, arrows usually break near the tip, so that is the weakest point in spite of the fact that it doesn't flex there. I'm just wondering if you would trust the joint enough to shoot the arrow. It's not spliced exactly like a footed arrow.

Except maybe a reparrow. It's kind of like that, but not really.

I guess I should check the spine. I didn't think about that.

Comment

I would just use another arrow....

Comment

I'd bet that it'll be fine, only one way to find out, shoot it. Or you could just hand it to someone else (Preferably not a good friend) and say, "Hey, I wonder how these shoot out of your bow?" Just sayin......

LD

Comment

Not me, not at that location.... It just isn't worth wearing it in my hand

Comment

Originally posted by Caddo View Post
                  I'd bet that it'll be fine, only one way to find out, shoot it. Or you could just hand it to someone else (Preferably not a good friend) and say, "Hey, I wonder how these shoot out of your bow?" Just sayin......

LD
                  LOL Maybe that's what I should do to the next traveling salesman who knocks on my door.

"Hey, have you ever thought about getting into archery? Check out these cool bows on my wall. Wanna shoot one? Here, use this arrow."

Comment

I don't think I would try that, although I've more limbs break on me, then arrows.

Comment

Uh NO.

Comment

I shoot bamboo . Don't do it Sam. If you are need of shafts that bad I have some.

Comment

Thanks. I've got plenty. I just hate to lose an arrow because I spent so much time on them.

Comment

Originally posted by SamHarper View Post
                            On the other hand, arrows usually break near the tip, so that is the weakest point in spite of the fact that it doesn't flex there. I'm just wondering if you would trust the joint enough to shoot the arrow. It's not spliced exactly like a footed arrow.

Except maybe a reparrow. It's kind of like that, but not really.

I guess I should check the spine. I didn't think about that.
                            Arrows break at the the tip because that is the part that comes into contact with what it hits.

I think your arrow would probably be ok unless it is a bit underspined and tries to flex at the repair.

Watch the entire video. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUTFItyS8nQ"]Archers Paradox - Short Version - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Ron View Post
                              I don't think I would try that, although I've more limbs break on me, then arrows.
                              X2

Comment

Working...
                              X