Hunt while sitting/standing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunt while sitting/standing?

Just trying to get a consensus…I missed several opportunities to shoot a doe this morning because i was trying to stand up from a sitting position in my tree stand to actually be able to shoot lol! my safety strap kept getting caught.

How many of you hunt sitting down or standing?

Well, I am pretty new to this, but I shoot sitting down and have practiced it that way. I cut my shooting lanes and set my stands to accomidate for it. I have drawn and shot out of a ground blind (sitting) and out of a ladder stand (sitting.) The only time I have drawn and shot on an animal standing was during a stalk.

Comment

If I ever get the opportunity to shoot at something it will be sitting down. I usually practise from a sitting position quite a bit.

Comment

Your strap or your harness?

Strap should be overhead...harness should be tight enough it doesn't hang anything

Comment

I shoot both but standing is preferred but rarely happens

Comment

Originally posted by swamprabbit View Post
            well, i am pretty new to this, but i shoot sitting down and have practiced it that way. I cut my shooting lanes and set my stands to accomidate for it. I have drawn and shot out of a ground blind (sitting) and out of a ladder stand (sitting.) the only time i have drawn and shot on an animal standing was during a stalk.

Comment

I sit.. I have my stand turned perpendicular to my feeder just for this purpose. If your face is facing what you want to shoot without turning your neck its just about impossible to shoot. I think that makes since.

Comment

sitting

Comment

I shoot standing. I usually hear pigs coming before I see them so ill stand up. Sometimes a single pig will slip in close so I just wait till it starts feeding and then ill stand.
                  With deer I can't hear or see them early enough to stand up w/o getting busted so ill wait till their feeding and take my chances. Usually ill stand up the 1st hour of light and the last 45 min of light so I'm already up.
                  I hunt for a tripod so there is the rail in the way of shooting from the chair. I have thought about removing the rail or lowering it so I could shoot while sitting but then it becomes a safety issue.

Comment

I shoot sitting and practice this way also. I hunt from ground blinds so it eliminates a ton of movement and possible noise. Main things is make sure your set up and shooting lanes account for it. Then be aware of where your knees and chair or whatever is at. My first shot at a doe this year i wasnt paying attention and as the cam came around upon release it hit my knee and jumped my shot up a foot or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleu View Post
                      Your strap or your harness?

Strap should be overhead...harness should be tight enough it doesn't hang anything
                      Strap. it has some slack because i can't get the tether high enough for it to be tight. I'm in a buddy stand with one of those fold overhead shooting rests. the slack got caught in between the rest and the back of the stand. i couldn't stand up past a high squat. i was so irritated!!!:

Comment

I do what you were doing. I sit and stand both. Usually I stand until I need to sit for a minute or two, then I stand again.

But it sounds to me like the problem you had is not related to sitting or standing, but rather to your safety harness or maybe the stand you are using. Common problem I used to have until I built my own tether.

Comment

80% of the time I am sitting when I shoot. Pop up blind shots have always been from sitting position. Tree stand shots depend on set up and what I am doing when an animal is spotted. 99% of the time I practice standing. I should re-think my practice methods considering how much I shoot from a sitting position!

Comment

I stand if I can, but I practice from a sitting position so I'm ready if I don't have a chance to stand.

Comment

In a ground blind I usually slide off of the seat and shoot from my knees. I can move around a bit and get a better angle if need be.

From a tree stand I shoot sitting but I have found that I have to have my bottom bow limb between my legs,favoring my left, to shoot. If it is in line with my left leg bad things happen.

Comment

Working...
                              X