Water Buffalo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Buffalo

I'm planning on going after a cow water buffalo. I am concerned that I'm not shooting enough bow and arrow. I currently shoot an A&H ACS longbow, 55lbs at my 28" draw. I shoot the Arrow Dynamics Trad hammerhead arrow with a 125 gr 4-blade Magnus Stinger weighing 650 grains. I would change to a 2-blade broadhead. I'm 67 years old so working into a heavier bow is problematic. Any advice?

Did you use the same setup with that buffalo in your avatar? Good luck to you and take lots of pics!

Matt

Comment

I would definitely at least work up a heavier arrow. Maybe in the 700-800gr range. Those water buffs have huge rib bones!

PM Buff or Chunky, they have both been buff hunting in Austrailia!

Bisch

Comment

I have a friend that hunted Australia for water buffalo this summer. The guide had him using 950 grain arrows. Talk to Buff on this site. He's killed elephant with a recurve.

Comment

My first shot in Austraila was at a cow at about 20 yards. I was shooting a 69 lb Black Widow with about 650 gr arrows. I hit a touch forward of my spot, but what would have been awesome on a deer. I got zero pentration. I don't think the whole Zwickey went in.

I borrowed Buff's back up bow and some over a 1000 gr arrows.

When I shot my bull, I hit him in mid ribs and angling forward. I got about half an arrow in him, or perhaps a bit more. This is with the heavier set up.

I am not saying that you can't kill one with your set up, but I am saying that there is a good chance with your set up....you will do everything perfect and it won't be enough. You might think about looking for a quartering shot and try and go in right behind the ribs with a good angle forward, or (I know we don't normally recommend them) but a neck shot....thinking out of the box here.

Comment

I took the bison in my avatar with a 57lb Massie Longhorn shooting a 620 grain arrow with a Magnus 2 blade broadhead. It was a slightly quartering away shot and I didn't get quite the penetration I wanted. She ran about 100 yards and went down. We were in North Dakota with no real cover so I could see her the whole time. She was still alive when we came up on her so I put a finishing arrow in her.

I know water buffalo have more massive ribs and are tougher to take down than Bison. I've got a 65lb longbow hanging on the rack so maybe I'll see if I can work into it

Comment

I don't want to rain on your parade but 55 is going to be a challenge on water buffalo

Comment

Originally posted by Buff View Post
                I don't want to rain on your parade but 55 is going to be a challenge on water buffalo
                You're not raining on my parade, I was looking for honest input. I didn't think 55 was enough, I was just double checking.

I'm going to restrict myself to a cow and think I might possibly do it with a 65 lb bow and an 800-850 grain arrow. I'm not totally confident at that level, but am looking. If that's not enough I'll rethink the whole thing. I'm not going to try it if I don't have complete confidence in my set-up.
                Last edited by Phillip Fields; 10-30-2013, 03:10 PM.

Comment

Where are you planning to hunt?

Comment

I bet that set up would take a cow.
                    The problem with the bulls is how thick there ribs are

Comment

Originally posted by M.E.B. View Post
                      Where are you planning to hunt?
                      Haven't decided for sure yet, but I'm leaning toward Triple S in Oklahoma, I'm open to suggestions.

Comment

Phil I am sure you have looked at A@H website, Mike Mealey has shoot cape buffalo and larger african game with a 58@28 pd A@H bow as well as Karen Campbell with a large water buff with less weight. Get your arrow weight up to at least 850grs.

Comment

Originally posted by SAVIOUR68 View Post
                          Phil I am sure you have looked at A@H website, Mike Mealey has shoot cape buffalo and larger african game with a 58@28 pd A@H bow as well as Karen Campbell with a large water buff with less weight. Get your arrow weight up to at least 850grs.
                          I have read the A&H website. Karen used a 70# at 29" ACS built for her by OL Adcock. She draws it to 29".

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            I have read the A&H website. Karen used a 70# at 29" ACS built for her by OL Adcock. She draws it to 29".
                            Seventy at 70# at 29"!

Ok I'm a wimp.

Comment

I can't add anything to this, just want to say good luck!

Comment

Working...
                              X