Review on The Atom Broadhead with Longbow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review on The Atom Broadhead with Longbow

Well, when I first bought them, I promised a review and never was able to get anything in shooting distance until a few weeks ago. First off, let me say they fly like darts and someone with a fast recurve or a faster longbow than I have may have different results but mine were not good. I dropped some hand corn in the morning and poured some cherry drink powder over the corn and on the ground around. My ground blind is set up about 30 yards from a barbed wire fence and in a creek bottom so I fight the swirling wind. Had two different hogs,, one about 40# and one a little bigger come from the north and stop just before crossing under the fence. They were making a bee-line for the corn and drink powder. They winded me and just stood there, the longest time being almost 10 minutes, before giving up and heading east, never crossing over and coming into bow range. Later that evening I had a LARGE coon come to the corn. It came straight for it so, as I was watching it, I was looking at the top of it's head the whole time. After about 10-15 minutes, it turned broadside and I let loose an arrow with The Atom Broadhead. It was about a 12-15 yard shot and I hit the "V". I sat there and watched the coon run off with only about 6 inches of arrow in it. It ran for what sounded like 100 yards or so before I heard a crash. I went and checked the spot it was standing when the arrow hit and NO BLOOD. I got on my hands and knees and followed the trail as far as I could and NEVER FOUND ONE DROP OF BLOOD. I decided right then and there that there was NO WAY I was going to use those heads on a deer or, even more dangerous, a hog. I went to Walmart in Canton and bought some 125 grain Allen Brand Thunderhead knock-offs. They get good reviews and, other than the tip, actually have blades. People that shoot the Muzzy's have that same type tip and it doesn't seem to bother penetration. I am headed to Gander Mountain in Tyler to see about some 125 grain Magnus though because I want to make dang sure this disaster with the coon doesn't happen to any other animal I attempt to harvest. A WORD TO THE WISE, UNLESS YOUR BOW SHOOTS WELL OVER 250FPS, STEER CLEAR OF THE ATOM BROADHEAD WITH TRAD GEAR. It may have been a one-time deal but I'm not willing to put my harvest through ANY unnecessary suffering because of the wrong equipment. I hear they work great on fast bows...my longbow just isn't fast enough and, even with a heavy arrow, it isn't enough speed to get that capillary cutting that has been talked about. Coons carry Parvo so that's why I decided to loose the arrow but I didn't intend on the end result, which was watching that coon run off, no blood trail, with my arrow.

This broadhead needs to be outlawed from production. Absolute JUNK!

Comment

A word about raccoons - they are tough as nails, have a layer of fat that closes up wound channels, and their hair tends to absorb the rest. I'm not at all surprised at the results of your shot. Most other heads would have done the same.

BTW, I get better penetration on deer than I do squirrels, with broadheads, sometimes. Different critters entirely, just like 'coons.

Comment

BTW, just get some Magnus or Wensel Woodsmans and be done with it.

Comment

If your arrows don't slice paper without any snags, then they won't kill anything. Razor sharp arrows drop deer inside 30 yards if they take off running. If they don't run, I have seen them wilt in their tracks.

Comment

Originally posted by Boomerang View Post
            If your arrows don't slice paper without any snags, then they won't kill anything. Razor sharp arrows drop deer inside 30 yards if they take off running. If they don't run, I have seen them wilt in their tracks.
            x2!

Comment

I shot em at over 300fps on my wheel bow. I was getting them free. I do not and will not shoot em if that tells ya anything.

Comment

don't know anything about the b/h your ""testing"" but on a coon is no test, heck i shot one last weekend with a 200 grain ace all i found was urine and a dead coon,

Comment

Shot a big buck with an atom out of my wheel bow with bad results. Found the deer but he ran 250 yards and should have b dropped in sight.

Comment

Why do you guys keep buying into the gadgeter's junk.

You can hunt with confidence, knowing that the TUFFHEAD™ single bevel and three blade broadheads. TuffHead has unsurpassed penetration.

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonheart View Post
                      Why do you guys keep buying into the gadgeter's junk.

http://www.tuffhead.com/ashby_pdfs/a...ty%202.wps.pdf
                      Tinkerin.

Comment

Working...
                      X