Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eternal Optimism

I have the optimism of a 10 year old.

Here I sit in a ground blind in East Texas, all full of hope.
    My 55 year old brain knows that since the acorns started falling I have not had one deer picture. I know I should be in a climber looking at a white Oak tree but my busted should will not let me climb.
    So here I sit. All full of hope. I was here Sunday afternoon, Monday after work and again Tuesday , I saw nothing but something in my heart keeps bringing me back.
    If you had asked me at 3:00 if I was going to hunt again today, I would have laughed and said " no I've learn my lesson" but when it got 5:00 I found myself hurrying around the house getting ready to go.

I guess in my heart I'm still that 10 year old that used to lay awake at night thinking about getting to hunt the next morning. Even though I can't remember seeing a deer back then much less getting to shoot at one

Good luck I hope it pays off for you.

Comment

I know what you mean, Marty. I don't know how many times - especially after several weekends of seeing nothing - I'll come home tired on a Friday and think "I'm not going to hunt this weekend - gonna wait for a better moon, cooler weather" or whatever. Then that night I lay there in bed and my hunting blood starts to rise and I start thinking "but what if tomorrow is one of those days you just get lucky?" I'll get up at 3:30am and head to the lease, leaving a note for the wife by the coffee maker. Even if I once again don't kill anything, I'm always glad I went.

Comment

I know that feeling too! Ain't it wonderful?

You hunting the low fence next to your place?

Good luck!

Bisch
        Last edited by Bisch; 10-23-2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

That's great! Pray you never lose that. I hope I don't.

Good luck

Comment

Hope springs eternal. Go get 'em Buff!

Comment

I am 52 and still get that feeling. Its like a fraterity for old guys!

Comment

56 years old and still get that same feeling. Upset cause I won't be able to go Saturday morning as planned due to work, hopefully Sat. evening.

Comment

Good luck, sometimes we all need a little optimism.

Comment

I know exactly what you mean. The spot I am hunting this year is public land 45 minutes from home. Everytime I make that drive and see nothing, I drive home thinking why do I even bother. And then a day later I'm itching to go see nothing again. You certainly can't shoot them if you don't try.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                      I know that feeling too! Ain't it wonderful?

You hunting the low fence next to your place?

Good luck!

Bisch
                      yes

Comment

If only there was a high fenced place close, where you could sit and shoot a pig, while waiting for the acorns to dry up?!?!

Besides being optimistic, you are also excellent at picking friends.

I will be there to help keep those feeders full, we need to get together and talk about a schedule to get that done.

Good luck with the local whitetails.

Comment

I'm there now as well. I know the deer are there, so the hope is alive and besides what better way to relax than swatting skeeters for an afternoon, lol

Comment

Gotta be an optimist to be a hunter. Or a fisherman, for that matter. Always tell my son: only time you can't catch a fish is when your hook's not in the water. Sentiment applies throughout life, really, I think. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                            X