Ground blind or tree stand?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ground blind or tree stand?

I have a spot where I am hunting that is down in a low area. The wind swirls badly. Do think it is better to be up in the air or to be in a ground blind. Also the deer come from all sides which makes it worse. Suggestions?

I would rather get way up in a tree anyday. I feel like at the 20-25ft range you greatly reduce getting winded. That is really tough for me in the hill country but I usually find a way. Is there a feeder at this spot or just trails you are hunting?

Comment

That's a tough one if deer are coming from all directions and there's no one general path they take. Almost like your in the middle of a food source. Getting in the air can help sometimes with scent, but if you have a deer down wind bust you it will warn any up wind. Any way you can move out to the edge and just hunt one of the more heavily traveled routes? Just a thought. Other then that it just depends on the available cover if I hunt a tree stand or ground blind, and wind direction is always the deciding factor on if I hunt or not. I do like the visibility of a tree stand though. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.

Matt

Comment

There is a feeder at this spot. What makes it hard is you never know where the deer are coming from there are lots of trails. I am going to set up a camera with video so maybe I can tell what trails they use more.

Comment

Tree stands are always better for scent control than a ground blind.

Comment

If you set up the ground blind correctly with stakes (I also add a ground skirt) and have the windows sealed up except the one you plan to shoot from then ground blind wins every time.
            But for your situation you might need to be in the tree since you cannot pattern them. You'll proly have a wider shooting lane that way.

Comment

Tree!!

Comment

Ozonics might be something to consider, I mean if you have an extra 4 bill laying around.

Comment

I'd be in a ground blind with as few windows opened as I could get by with and have an Ozonics running with normal scent control,, then again I don't really care to be 25' up in a tree.. I'm not scared of falling, it's just that sudden stop at the bottom that terrifies me

Comment

I have thought about an ozonics unit but hate to part with the cash.

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                      I have thought about an ozonics unit but hate to part with the cash.
                      Ozone Air Treatment Systems, for the home or in the field.

Can try the amazing1 version. It isn't set up to mount when you buy it, but it apparently works just as well as the ozonics once you get it set up to work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by TRH View Post
                        http://www.amazing1.com/ozone.html

Can try the amazing1 version. It isn't set up to mount when you buy it, but it apparently works just as well as the ozonics once you get it set up to work for you.
                        So if you make a mount for that it will work just as well as a ozonics? Or are there other modifications you have to do?

Comment

Originally posted by jebsvitals View Post
                          So if you make a mount for that it will work just as well as a ozonics? Or are there other modifications you have to do?
                          There are a few post on here about it, but from what I understand if you request it they will make the adjustments for it to run on battery and then you just have to make whatever modifications you need to. Do some searching on here though in case I am off base.

I am looking forward to getting one myself this year I think. I just want to have a plan beforehand for what I am going to do to mount it.

Comment

Why not both?

I had a need for something that was elevated to reduce scent within the hunting area, but also need to conceal movement, so I built a 10 foot platform and secured a ground blind to the top.
                            I have two young daughters (9 & 11) that decided they wanted to go hunting with dad this year. Considering my 9 year old can’t sit still for 30 seconds, I knew I would need the benefits of elevation in terms of scent control as well as the advantages of concealment regarding movement. My solution was to build a 5X5X10 platform (4x4 posts, 2x4 bracing, and camouflaged plywood) and put a ground blind on top. Now I know this isn’t the same as getting 15 to 20 feet in a tree, but it does somewhat reduce the amount of sent being blown over the hunting area, in an undesired wind condition as well as significantly conceals movement.
                            My set up currently has the entrance into the blind through the floor of the platform however, I am considering building a set of steps and attaching them to the back of the platform and using the zipper door for entrance. As for attaching the blind to the platform, I folded the flaps under the edge and held them on with a fir strip and screws. The floor is padded and carpeted so you don’t get the noise from the plywood and I’m also putting a 360 degree shooting chair w/ a gun rest in it so the girls will have something to steady their shot with. I have pictures but don’t think I’m allowed to post them as I’m a new member and this is my first reply/post.
                            Hope this helps and good luck to ya.

Comment

Originally posted by devalke View Post
                              I had a need for something that was elevated to reduce scent within the hunting area, but also need to conceal movement, so I built a 10 foot platform and secured a ground blind to the top.
                              I have two young daughters (9 & 11) that decided they wanted to go hunting with dad this year. Considering my 9 year old can’t sit still for 30 seconds, I knew I would need the benefits of elevation in terms of scent control as well as the advantages of concealment regarding movement. My solution was to build a 5X5X10 platform (4x4 posts, 2x4 bracing, and camouflaged plywood) and put a ground blind on top. Now I know this isn’t the same as getting 15 to 20 feet in a tree, but it does somewhat reduce the amount of sent being blown over the hunting area, in an undesired wind condition as well as significantly conceals movement.
                              My set up currently has the entrance into the blind through the floor of the platform however, I am considering building a set of steps and attaching them to the back of the platform and using the zipper door for entrance. As for attaching the blind to the platform, I folded the flaps under the edge and held them on with a fir strip and screws. The floor is padded and carpeted so you don’t get the noise from the plywood and I’m also putting a 360 degree shooting chair w/ a gun rest in it so the girls will have something to steady their shot with. I have pictures but don’t think I’m allowed to post them as I’m a new member and this is my first reply/post.
                              Hope this helps and good luck to ya.
                              Welcome! Your stand sounds pretty darn cool. We're gonna want some pics!!

Comment

Working...
                              X