broadhead question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadhead question

I KNOW I'm probably going to take a cyber butt whooping over this question. I actually wouldn't blame y'all...............but I've got to know. Has anyone had any luck using Rage 40 KE's with a Trad bow?

There is a guy over on archerytalk that swears by them with his trad gear. I cant remember his name on there but he has taken multiple deer with the rage broadheads one trad gear

Comment

Yeap!...you probably will get a cyber butt chew. Ha!

Most use two blade heads to get better penetration. Why mess with mechanicals? You're only adding more things that could go wrong to the equation.

Comment

47# recurve with rage 40KE heads
        [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvKAFvYZfT4"]Rage Broadhead Recurve Bow - YouTube[/ame]

Here, I found the guy on archerytalk.com that uses the rage heads. You may have to sign up to see the pictures.

Comment

Good question, I've often wondered the same thing. Although I've had issues with Rage with my compound so I would be hesitant to shoot them with trad gear.

Comment

I don't think anyone around here will jump on you for asking, but I will be surprised if anyone around here recommends it. I've been on other forums where people try to "out-trad" each other" ( ie: Real trad shooters don't use carbon arrows or rubber whiskers, blah, blah, blah.) But for the most part, on this forum the mantra is "Whatever works, and whatever you have confidence using".

Comment

,my wife has used them off her 50 pound compound and killed a few critters. They should work with your setup

Comment

Nit for me! I don't know if they would work well or not, but I have read so many conflicting posts about how good/bad rage broadheads are that I wont be shooting them anytime soon.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I was just wondering about what they would do. I really think I'm just ready for the season to get here!! haha This will be my first year to hunt using traditional archery and I cant wait!!

Comment

Originally posted by MEsquivel View Post
                    Yeap!...you probably will get a cyber butt chew. Ha!

Most use two blade heads to get better penetration. Why mess with mechanicals? You're only adding more things that could go wrong to the equation.

^^^ this

Comment

That is some of the "research" done by one sharp broadhead over on AT. He swore by it. Lighter setups and penetration was his thing for a while. My experience with archery in general is a little more front of center is nice. I don't think 200 plus grains up front is the cats meow but I think generally speaking arrows behave better with a little more weight up front and with all the great sharp to the point heads available that would be my choice. I have never been the biggest fan of mechanical heads though. I have found some that work very well on deer but always liked standard heads better even from compounds.

Comment

I have never tried a mechanical but have heard good things about them. For me I just don't see the point. A well built arrow with a good 2 blade cut on contact head has always worked.

Kinda off your subject. My wife decided she wanted a xbow this year for pig hunting so we bought one from a fellow TBHer. Got her some new bolts and sighted it in at 17 yards, shoots great. Went looking for a broadhead for her, OMG! You know they sell broadheads made specifically for xbows! They cost around $40 per 3. Well being an old trad guy I rigged her up some zwickey Eskimos with screw in adapters. They fly just like a field point and the penetration so good we almost lost one of those short bolts in the target. So instead of $40 for 3 she only has $13 invested in her broadheads. I can't wait to see her take out a pig!

Comment

I, like many here shot a compound in y early life and tried a few mechanical broad heads as tey came out. My experience with them is that they do not always perform and I quit them al ong time ago.
                          When Rage came out, I tried them again and unfortunately with the same results.Poor performance when the moment of truth came.
                          I will never try any mechanical again. The chance to harvest a good deer is too important for me to take chances with something that may not work sometimes.
                          A good two blade head is all I need.

Comment

I don't know what a Rage 40 KE is. I highly recommend STOS, ribtek, and Zwickey though.

Comment

The problem with mechanical heads are these;

They can and do fail on occasion.
                              They take more energy to operate, reducing penetration (which is a big deal in trad as we are low on the KE scale as it is)
                              To a lot of trad shooters, it is about the simplicity and love of the method, mech heads don't really fit in to this way of thinking.

I have always felt that a lot of guys use them, because they have trouble tuning their bows correctly. Just my opinions.

We never bash for asking questions, and bottom line is whatever makes you happy. I like broadheads I can use over and over again, and sharpen with a file....but to each his own.

Comment

Working...
                              X