Odd Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Odd Question

I'll start by saying I've been shooting bows now for 31 years, trad gear off and on and now I'm hooked solid with my Sarrels! My question is a "why " question, when practicing if I shoot dots I am less accurate than when I shoot my 3d targets, every time and has been that way for year's, also if I use only 1 arrow my practice sessions are always without a doubt better, I never do as well shooting arrow after arrow in the same position. Does anyone else experience this?

I can't tell you why 3D;s are better than dots but I can tell you probably why one at a time is better than groups. With one at a time you are making yourself rest between shots. When you shoot 4 or 5 arrows in a row most everybady (including me) shoots too fast and you muscles do not have time to rest between shots. This shows up as less accurate shooting.

Bisch

Comment

I am the same way with bows and rifles. When I go for a steel plate I can get amazing groups but put a piece of paper up. I think it is because when shooting a 3d you are relaxed and not trying to force it into a little area. When aiming at a dot you tend to make yourself uncomfortable for the "perfect" shot

Comment

I shoot better on 3D. I think, because, I am more interested in animals than spots, therefore my concentration is better.

I agree about Bisch's theory
        About one shot at a time.

Comment

One arrow practice is slower, and more deliberate, which lends itself to better focus/concentration.

3D objects are easier to focus on, than a spot on a flat surface. Don't know why. Even shooting at a ball (like a golf ball, or tennis ball) I will shoot more accurately than when I shoot at a flat spot of the same size at the same distance.

Rick

Comment

I shoot about the same on targets or 3D,but I am like you and shoot better with one arrow verses a bunch of arrows.I believe it is like Bisch said,not resting your muscles.I also believe atleast for me is I have to focus on each shot and when shooting too many times in a row,I lose the focus after a few shots.

Comment

If I place a spot on a 3-d target I can shoot it more accurate than without one!

Comment

I'm the same way for some reason, I tend to shoot better on 3d then paper targets like your 5 spots, I'm come to the conclusion that for me it has to be the depth of the 3d that helps me focus, or the fact that I do see my arrow over a backstop and I think it interferes. Also busy targets or like 5 spot rings just have way to much going on for me to see just my spot.

In my yard I have a square hay bales stacked and strapped, when the targets is near the top I suffer but when it's in the middle or lower I shoot better, I think if my arrow is over ground in my peripheral I'm better off then if it's silouetted by a backstop.

It's kinda funny how little things mess with our ability to focus

Comment

Originally posted by ShaBow View Post
                  If I place a spot on a 3-d target I can shoot it more accurate than without one!
                  Me too...a lot better.

I also shoot a lot better at a tack than I do at a paper target even though the bullseye of the paper target is the same size as a tack.

Comment

I will ask a question. Cause I've been thru this before. Do you shoot the dots a lot more than you shoot your 3D targets?
                    I did. But the change to a 3D or a different target and my shooting would pick up. I think my brain gets bored shooting the same old target time after time and shooting would suffer. But when I switched to a different target, and a new stimulus to the brain, shooting would get better. The bordum cause a lack of concentration. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I think 3-D targets lie to you. You pick a spot on the target and miss it 6", your still in the 10 ring. You tell your seld " heck that killed that deer".
                      a dot dont lie. you either hit it or you didnt
                      JMO

Comment

Graybow for me I only shoot 3D targets at my house, I got a few scattered around and just walk around with one arrow, every shot I take feels like a hunting shot, it's just weird to me that if I shoot at dots on flat surface my accuracy suffers, thank goodness I ain't eating dots!

Comment

Well in that case, it might be because you know if you don't hit that 3D target, you gotta spend the next 30 minutes looking for an arrow! lol

Comment

Originally posted by Graybow View Post
                            Well in that case, it might be because you know if you don't hit that 3D target, you gotta spend the next 30 minutes looking for an arrow! lol
                            Ain't that the truth!

Comment

I have been shooting the NFAA 300 target for practice. 5 arrows at the Blue Face Target from 20 yards x 12 ends.

Invariably, my first shot is best and then second and third. Fourth and fifth shots are poor. I think Bisch is right, little to no rest in between shots.

Also, I lose focus quickly on shots 4 and 5.

And, there is something about trying to stack 5 arrows in a 5" circle that irks me. It's like, I am trying to avoid chipping my nochs. I find my eyes wandering to the outside of the grouping.

Comment

Working...
                              X