Anybody shoot wensel woodsman?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anybody shoot wensel woodsman?

Looking at the 150 gr 3 blades to use outta my recurve. Any feedback? Watched a sharpening video on 3rivers today.

I have shot them a lot, but not for a while. They make a nice hole, and are easier for me to sharpen than Snuffers. The tips tended to bend, so I mostly filed the end to a more rounded (but still sharp) point.

Comment

Even though I have only killed one hog with them I like'em alot. The first shot was a direct hit on the spine and went comepletely through and was sticking 4-5" out the other side. My second shot was a pass through above the heart. It was not a huge pig - maybe 100lbs so that was probably a factor. Here's a thread on what I did to get them sharp.

I definetly think the "Elite Woodsmans" are worth the extra money over the originals.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I hope to get a hog soon. Not enough deer to worry about but plenty of hogs!

Jerp...what's the main difference between the elite and regular?

Comment

Killed a bunch of hogs with them and killed a buffalo with a razor cap
          Which is pretty much the same head

Comment

I've used them and had bad performance from them. They crumpled and torqued and had no penetration at all. They twisted like a cheep aluminum can. I Prefer the VAP's, they are solid and fly great and are easy to sharpen.

The ones I used were the originals. The new elites may be stronger.

Good luck.

Comment

The Elites are made from better steel - if I remember right 50 Rockwell vs. 40. They also have a different tip - more of a pyramid shape so you are less likely to get curling on a bone hit. They are also Teflon coated for what that's worth. Theoretically, slicker makes for better penetration.

Comment

Chew,

If you get them, one option for sharpening (there are many) is the Smith's Diamond Sharpener.

http://www.rei.com/product/685954/smiths-diamond-sharpening-stones-combination:-coarse-and-fine-grit?preferredSku=6859540012&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-6859540012&mr:trackingCode=F2744FFE-FB85-DE11-B7F3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy: s_kwcid}=&gclid=CJCMq8ySqrMCFZGiPAodxREAoQ

I picked one up for $15 at Lowe's. It has as coarse and fine side. Worked really, really well on my 3 blade VPAs.

Comment

Can y'all suggest something better for hogs in 150 grain (or close to that)? Will mostly be shooting hogs (and the ground around said hogs)

Comment

For hogs I use Zwickey Eskimos. They're a 2 blade 125gr glue on. With the right adapter you can get close to 150grs easy. The price is right too. Something like $24 for 6. Adapters are cheap. You can get everything from 3 Rivers. I was just ordering some new ones myself. Looks like the lightest adapter is 32gr which would give you 162gr total. Don't think you would notice the difference.

-Zwickey Eskimo 2-Blade Glue-On Broadheads Item Number: 4219
                    -Aluminum Screw-In Broadhead Adapters Item Number: 4196X 11/32 short= 32gr
                    -Quick Stick Hot Melt Point Glue Item Number: 5492

Matt
                    Last edited by Trick; 10-30-2012, 08:24 PM.

Comment

I shoot 150gr as well. (screw-in) In a two-blade I've been looking at the VPA Penetrator, the Eclipse Werewolf, German Kinetics Silverflame and the Samari from Alaska Bowhunting Supply. All look like high quality heads but they range from fairly expensive to dang expensive. I keep having this vision of pigs running off with a $10 arrow tipped with a $25 broadhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                        Can y'all suggest something better for hogs in 150 grain (or close to that)? Will mostly be shooting hogs (and the ground around said hogs)
                        Zwickey, Magnus, and Ace are all cheap, good heads. Easy to sharpen as well.

Comment

You can't go wrong with a Magnus Stinger with or without the bleeders. They are easy to resharpen and do not rust like the Magnus II's do. I carry three Silver Flame XL's for deer and two Tree Sharks for pigs. I too have visions of pigs running off with my $40 worth of arrow and broadhead! I have killed a few with the Tree Shark and that 2" cut is bad medicine for them for sure!

Comment

Are you using glue-ons or screw-ins? I've done alot of looking and the only 2 blade screw-in 150 grain heads I have found are the ones I listed above, plus the Magnus Stinger MeatEater mentioned.

Comment

I've begun buying glue on heads and then gluing in adapters. It's usually a little cheaper that way.

For a cheap 150 gr head, you could take a 125 gr Zwickey and add a 32 grain aluminum adapter. Add 2 or 3 grains of glue and you get a 160 gr head. But sharpening it a few times, you're right back to 150 gr. If you really want, you can file or snip off the tip of the adapter to remove a few grains. I've done that with the longer ones.

I like to buy from Tim at Braveheart Archery. http://www.braveheartarchery.us/

He's generally inexpensive and ships quickly for a reasonable rate. 3Rivers charges too much to ship unless you're buying a bunch of stuff.
                              Last edited by TxAg; 10-31-2012, 08:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X