Got him!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got him!

I have always wanted to take a deer with a real Indian arrowhead. I have found a good number of them and some are in great shape. So this year I decided to go for it. I picked three good one I had and I knapped a couple of modern ones and filled my quiver. I took a hog a couple weeks ago with a head I made out of Pyrex cook wear. I got great penetration and he piled up in about 50yds. That got my confidence up on how they would preform. So this morn I'm in the blind and am seeing a few but no shot opportunities. About 8:00am a nice 8pt comes out and busts me right away, my fault I was sending a hunting report to a buddy and when I looked up he caught the movement. So no I'm pretty upset about jacking around . I sit till about 9:30 with out seeing anything else and am debating heading home. At 935 I catch movement comming from the right. It comes out into the opening and I see its a good buck. He walks behind a scrub brush and I come to full draw. When he clears he is in one of my lanes 20yrd I hit him three inches behind the shoulder angling forward. I get about half a shaft penitration and he is gone like the flash. I wait about 45 min. But feel very confident about the shot. I trail him with small but steady blood for 100yrd then I guess he slowed down cause it really started flowing then. He made another 40 or 50 and plied up. My head was still in him so I recovered it although the tip was broke. I couldn't be happier with him. My AW BOW with Indian heads work just fine. Well sorry I got so long winded I'm just kinda wound up.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350763802.483366.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.3 KB
ID:	24930060
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350763836.150191.jpg
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	24930061

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350763905.085741.jpg
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	24930062

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350763948.153865.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	24930063

very cool thread and hunting story. Congrats on a nice buck. Hadnt heard of a deer being taken this way before.

Comment

wow great story!
      congrats on the hog and the deer! really nice!

Comment

Wow!! Selfbow AND an artifact head!

Congratulations on a successful hunt, seems to me like the entire saga would be worthy of a writeup for the TBOT newsletter or Traditional Bowhunter! Way to go and thanks for sharing

Comment

That's a nice buck and an awesome way to take him.

Comment

Well done

Comment

Awesome sorry, that's something most will never do.

Comment

Awesome! Congrats on the buck.

Comment

Greatness!
                  You are now one of them, you know, the elite crowd

Comment

Going almost completely primative is a cool idea. Congrats

Comment

Congratulations!!! That is awesome!

Comment

That is pretty cool....Congrats!

Comment

I really hand it to you trad guys. Congrats on a great buck.

Also a thumbs-up for posting in the correct forum!

Comment

Dream of mine as well. Congrats!

Comment

James, what an amazing deer to cap that quest! Can't wait to hear the play by play.... Awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X