how far should i go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how far should i go?

Was wondering how far that you guys think is too far with a recurve? I am new and seem to shoot pretty good out to about 15 yards so I know that is as far as I would shoot now but what is the realistic range for a good kill with one?

You'll definitely get differing opinions on this topic. I feel that everyones effective range is different. For some it may only be as far as 10 yds, others 50 yds. My effective range is about 25 yds, but realistically I try and limit my shots to 20 or less. Even though I practice to 30 yds daily, my zone for some reason is 18 yds so that is where I try and set my stands close too. Even then, I have passed shots due to it just wasn't right. As a matter of fact a passed a shot at 11 yds on a nive hog this week because he never would give the the shot I wanted. He would stand perfectly broad side but his front leg was always back. Therefore I never took the shot. Only you can know what your effrective range is, right now it seems like it is about 15yds by your statements above....good hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by diamondrules View Post
      Was wondering how far that you guys think is too far with a recurve? I am new and seem to shoot pretty good out to about 15 yards so I know that is as far as I would shoot now but what is the realistic range for a good kill with one?
      diamondrules,You said on another thread that those who were opposed to high fence were just jealous ???.....

What I have found is those who lack shooting and hunting ability always go to the high-fence to over come their deficiencies......

Comment

What Broken Arrow said.

Test yourself, then take some off for nerves, less than perfect position, movement of the animal, weather, and all the other things that can effect your shot.

Comment

Thumper I am not sure where your answer came from...I was just wondering what other people like to shoot distance wise...I will not shoot much over 15 yards with my compound and that is on public land and the last time I looked there was no high fenced public land...why go and turn a learnin question from me into somthing that was not asked...so stay out of my post...thanks

Comment

Diamondrules,I practice from 3yds to 100yds,now I wouldnt shoot that far at a deer,but it helps me learn my arc.I usually shoot 25yds and under and limit my hunting shots to 20 and under.My point is when you practice I dont think you can shoot too far(within reason.)

Comment

I shoot lots of times around 40 yards. But I find I am much better at around 20 or so yards.

Comment

Ya, do not forget to practice those close range shots too, those 12 yard shots can get pretty tricky when you are shooting at deer, not that I ever miss or anything(well maybe once or twice).
                Chris Kiefner

Comment

my practice sessions are 6 yrd to 18 yards and that is about it for now..I have only been shooting with recurve for about a month and I have not touched my compound since. I only have on deer tag left for this year and I want to try and take a it with my recurve but I dont feel ready yet. Maybe after christmas I will try.....Thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X