need help!! wanting to get into a recurve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need help!! wanting to get into a recurve

i have been bow hunting for 14 years currently shooting a mathews z7x but am really wanting to get into a recurve anyone know what would be good to start out with and hopefully end up white tail hunting with..

Check into the Samik Sage. Start out with a light weight (40-45#). You can order heavier limbs later. The worst mistake you can make is starting out to heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
      Check into the Samik Sage. Start out with a light weight (40-45#). You can order heavier limbs later. The worst mistake you can make is starting out to heavy.
      X2

Comment

What Deb said^^^^^

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Deb View Post
          ^^^ this times 10000000000

Comment

^^^^^ what they said^^^^^

Comment

thanks everyone is there draw lengths on recurves or is it just however far you need to pull it???

Comment

Almost all production bows are measured at a 28 inch draw. Add or subtract 2.5 or 3 pounds for every inch shorter or longer than 28

Comment

Most of us pull to the corner of our mouths. Draw weight on trad bows is measured at 28inches. I did not say that well, but someone will straighten me out. The best thing you can do is get with some trad guys in your area and do some shooting.
                  Last edited by Deb; 10-07-2012, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Yea!!! What MISS Deb said!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by randal View Post
                      thanks everyone is there draw lengths on recurves or is it just however far you need to pull it???
                      There are no set draw lengths on a recurve or longbow. It's just however far you pull the string to your anchor point. However, most bow weights are measured at 28" of draw length. So if you draw less than that, then your draw weight will be less than the bow's stated draw weight. If you draw longer than 28", then the draw weight will be incrementally higher. Some bows tend to stack if they're drawn more than 28", though. And it's supposedly easier to draw more than 28" with a longer bow (measuring the bow's length from nock to nock).

Like Deb said, it's better to start with a light draw weight. It's not so much whether you can draw a certain bow weight. Most male archers of regular strength can easily draw 50 to 60 lbs. The thing is, the lighter the bow's draw weight, the easier it will be for you to consistently draw it multiple times during a practice session before fatigue sets in. And when fatigue sets in, then your form begins to suffer and you develop bad habits that can be hard to fix later on.

With trad shooting, proper form is very important. And it's easier to learn and maintain proper form with a lighter weight bow.

I started out with a 45# bow. Even though most consider 45# to be light, I wish I would've started with 35#. But each person is different and maybe I'm just a weakling. Either way, lighter is better, and you can always get a heavier bow or limbs later on.

What some do in the beginning is get a take-down bow, like the Samick Sage. With a take-down, you can get lighter weight limbs to start, and then later switch them out with heavier limbs as your back rhomboid muscle gets stronger.

Hope this helps and welcome to trad!

Comment

Try traditionalarcherysales.com Len Busbee has tons of used bows, some custom and ots of Martins and Bears.Len has fair prices and will not misrepresent the condition of his bows. Check out the site and pictures or Call len and ask his advice.
                        Chuck

Comment

Again, what Deb said! all I can add for now is to have fun with it and e patient.

Comment

Working...
                          X