recurve hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

recurve hunting question

I wanted to start hunting with a recurve and my dad has one with a 50# draw. What is the maximum hunting distance you could shoot from?

That is totally personal. I feel very confident to 20 yards, and practice regularly out to 30. However I would preferr shots around 15/18 yards. Your gonna have folks say that they have noproblem shooting out to 40/50 yards, but not me.

Comment

You shooting distance will be determined more by your skill level than the pounds of your bow.

Most traditonal hunters perfer a shot 20 yards or closer.

Comment

When you can consistently put 8 of 10 in a 6" spot at a given distance , then you could confidently shoot that distance. I shoot point on at 20 with my hunting bow and that is my max distance. I prefer 5-15 yds

Comment

do the arrows you shoot matter because i have some some gold tip xt hunter with 3in feathers. will that work?

Comment

I think a 50# bow could theoretically kill a deer from quite a long ways. I sometimes practice out to 45 in the backyard, and from the penetration I get with a broadhead I'm confident it would kill a deer. Of course hitting the kill zone from 45 is a whole different story. My self imposed max on live critters is 15 yards

Comment

Bout 3 yards for me that way I can just stab them with my arrow

Comment

It all depends on your ability to shoot accurately at any given yardage. Personally, I refuse to shoot at game over 20 yds, and prefer shots closer than that. Hunting with trad gear is all about getting close.

The Gold Tips will work fine as long as they're spined to match your bow.

Comment

Originally posted by Bear95 View Post
                  do the arrows you shoot matter because i have some some gold tip xt hunter with 3in feathers. Will that work?
                  Yes, the arrows DO matter. You'll be getting some good info from the Pro's soon on that subject. In the mean time... what is the spine on the GT's and whats your draw length? Also, you're probably gonna want to swap those feathers out. I'd go with 5in.

-Gabe
                  Last edited by feralswine; 10-04-2012, 12:33 PM.

Comment

29 in draw

Comment

29 in draw
                      What's the length and spine on your arrows?

Comment

do the arrows you shoot matter because i have some some gold tip xt hunter with 3in feathers. will that work?
                        This question suggests that you have very little experience with a trad bow. Maybe you should wait until next season to hunt with one. It takes time to get good enough to shoot at living animals with a trad bow. Also, 50# is a bit heavy for someone just starting out. To much weight at first will give you some bad habits that are very hard to break.

Comment

im not planning on hunting this season.

Comment

Thank you. That is good to hear. The guys on here will get you all set up in no time. Get together with a bunch of them and do some shooting. You will have a lot of fun.

Comment

Bear95, there are several good shooters in the Houston area. Maybe some will chime in later when they get home from work. Getting together with someone that has some experience is a great way to go, really helps shorten the learning curve!

Comment

Working...
                              X