McAlester shoot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

McAlester shoot?

Anyone have some info on the McAlester shoot? I looked all over but couldn't find it. Always heard it was "trashy" but I'd like to try it myself.

Thanks

If there is an unobstructed target it will be small or look small because it is so far away. You could find yourself shooting from some odd positions. The lines are long be prepared to stand and wait.

Comment

Very tough competition. Lots of great vendors, it's worth the trip for that. I am not sure they still conduct the velvet tour but you might want to check into that. Overall its quite an event.

Comment

Brandon it will be trashy and you need to start early saturday by mid morning you may have to wait 30 min at the target to shoot. But I can say it would make my top 5 shoots you have to go to at least ones in your live. Its a fun shoot with lots of venders. PS don,t forget the speed limit in OK constuction zones are 60 if not posted

Comment

Glenn Bryant, Danny Hughes, Charles Alexander, Lonnie Dye, Larry Brown and myself are going up on Saturday, but we are going to shoot in the Selfbow shoot on Sunday. I think the crowds will be much thinner by Sunday.

Wayne

Comment

You only wish that they are thinner by Sunday. Most shooters shoot fun rounds on Sunday waiting for the awards . The velvet tour is still on, but get registered early.
            The vendors area is like midway at the state fair, exellent. Be prepared for long waits but a great expereance !

Comment

30 minutes waiting at at target sounds like more than I could stand. Is this a trad shoot or everybody shoot? Is there a website or contact info out there?

Comment

It all Trad and I have never been to it, but from what I am hearing, there will be 300-400shooters on Saturday. Sunday is Selfbow only (well, I guess except for the fun rounds).

Wayne

Comment

It is a real good shoot if you get there early you can do one of two things. One try to catch the bus for the velvet tour and shoot when you get back. Which you will be waiting at every target to shoot at that point. Or you can skip the velvet tour and shoot in the morning. If you shoot in the morning you can work through the range in pretty good order without all the waiting. The course is very challenging you will have shots where you have to shoot around or through cedar trees, a couple flying targets, and some long ones. It is a shoot you should attend at least once. If I wasn't going to Kansas City and St Louis that weekend I would be there myself. Go and have some fun.

Comment

Hey guys if you are there come by the Quest Arrow Booth and say hi. I will be there Fri and Sat it looks like.

Comment

jeffro here. neetz and i are hope'n to make this again.

Comment

McAlester shoot is a blast! Me and Anna wanna go again this year. Course is trashy and some shots are down right twister type body positions. The people are great and great deals at the vendors. Shoot early or late on Saturday to beat the waiting lines.

Comment

I LOVE that shoot. Haven't been in a few years but I want to go again one of these days.
                          It is an all Trad shoot, Longbows and Recurves on Sat. and Selfbows on Sun. One thing I like about this shoot is that the top 5 in each class have a shootoff at the end to determine the winner (I think this limits the few who will try to win with the pencil). I have never shot well enough to make the final 5 but I sure enjoy watching those who do.
                          I'm sure there is some information on the MCAAP web site but I think the shoot is called the Southern Plains Archery Championship or something very similar to that. I'm sure somebody here has a flyer and get get the wording exact for anyone wanting to google it for information.

Comment

anyone know the dates for this shoot

Comment

First weekend in August. It is next weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X