Wood arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood arrows

Does anyone bare shaft wood arrows? Or just add/reduce tip weight to correct spine… just looking for feedback. Building my first set of woods for Texas longbow championship. Thanks in advance.

I generally never do, been at this awhile and have the spine down for tapered, footed shafts with my bows and broadheads. Always had trouble snapping the shafts at distances under thirteen yards. But that is with 65#+ bows.
    Last edited by Wudstix; 02-21-2024, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Scratch View Post
      Does anyone bare shaft wood arrows? Or just add/reduce tip weight to correct spine… just looking for feedback. Building my first set of woods for Texas longbow championship. Thanks in advance.
      Yes, I do. It's more difficult than with carbon shafts. But I get excellent arrow flight and great penetration so to me, it's worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Yes, I do. It's more difficult than with carbon shafts. But I get excellent arrow flight and great penetration so to me, it's worth the effort.
        Gary, do you bare shaft tune each and every shaft?

Comment

Unfortunately the sickness is real. I started with one. That said, I couldn't resist trying each one. It's so easy to get caught up in it when you shoot in you yard. I even shot each one test shots with broadheads. If I release one and the arrow flight is wonky, there is no doubt I muffed the release.

I didn't get in a hurry. Even the ones I had built for me I worked with, tested, adjusted. I blame Bisch for ingraining in me the importance of good arrow flight. But if you buy good shafts, matched shafts, sealed well. Theyll stay straight and serve you well. Mike Heisler builds some good ones and i had him buikd one set. I spent hours at his house developing the shaft to shoot perfectly out of my bow. I'm sure he thought I was nuts but he saw how committed I was to it being right and was all in supportive. 3 weeks later, two dead Impala proved it was worth the effort..
          I have a set of ash shafts I need to get to work on now.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
            Mike Heisler builds some good ones and i had him buikd one set. I spent hours at his house developing the shaft to shoot perfectly out of my bow. I'm sure he thought I was nuts but he saw how committed I was to it being right and was all in supportive. 3 weeks later, two dead Impala proved it was worth the effort..
            I have a set of ash shafts I need to get to work on now.
            Mike is great to work with. Very patient and as you said, all in supportive. He worked with Daniel on his and spent a lot of time last weekend talking to me about what would be best for mine, along with watching how different arrows flew. Tons of respect for what he does and how he does it.

Comment

I need to get cracking on putting some tapered Ash together.

Comment

I picked up ash shafts this last time. Not tapered, but they look dang good. I too need to get to work.

Comment

Mine are 28 1/2' both ends tapered for nock and/or point. Plus tail tapered. That is 1 inch+ past draw length so need to see what bow they will work with, probably a longbow.

Comment

I buy mine from full length shafts, trim to tune. They only come tapered for the nock. Weight and spine matched, not pre finished thus time so I need to play with that too.
                    Last edited by DRT; 03-06-2024, 10:55 PM. Reason: I messed up the wording in sentence one.

Comment

Subscribed and learning!!

Comment

I never did that before. Anyways, happy arrow building, and good luck at the championship!
                        Buckshot Roulette

Comment

Not sure were I got these, but spined 70-75#, so will try to get them to fly from my MOAB.

Comment

Working...
                          X