Arrow recommendations…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow recommendations…

After shooting the longbows that my brother left me after his death, I have decided to shoot the Klaus Cartel Viper.

I have a couple of his arrows and they are unmarked wood arrows. They shoot nice.

I shot out to 15 yards with a decent group and shot over the target twice out of about two dozen arrows. This is not my first time to shoot a longbow or recurve but never got serous about it.

I am going to join Cowtown Bowman again and start shooting 3D targets as well as setup a small 3D course on my place in Erath County.

Recommendations and help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Well some information will be needed. Your actual draw length, actual draw weight if the bow, what weight points you want to shoot.

Comment

My draw length on my Mathews is 29.5”. The weight of the bow is 50#.

I would think a 100 grain tip or broadhead would be what I would shoot. Don’t know what’s best for kinetic energy if that makes a difference with a trad bow.

Comment

It does not work that way. A traditional bow is measured lbs at 28. Yours says 50. But if your draw length is actually 29.5, then the weight on your fingers at full draw is probably closer to 55lbs. However, many people find their traditional bow draw length is different than their compound bow. Then the shelf cut needs to be pretty closely measured and then we can start looking.
        Put your arrow on the bow. Nocked and on the shelf. Clip a clothes pin to the arrow on the outside of the shelf. Draw and anchor then let down. Measure from string to clothes pin. Do it a few times to get a good average.
        Report back.

Comment

The draw length measures 25.75”.

Comment

After a quick google search I calculate that my draw weight to be about 43 lbs.

I guess a 40-45 lb wooden arrow from 3Rivers will get me started.

Thanks for the help…

Comment

Good deal.

Comment

I usually start with weight draw weight then add 5# for arrow length over 28", 5# for broadhead 160 grain plus, 5# for FF string. That has worked for me and got great arrow spine and flight..

Comment

I'd go with 45-50 # arrows with 43# @ 26". 50- 55 might even work.
                  Just about my draw length but I pull about 48 lbs. My arrows are all 50-55# and tapered to nock end.
                  Taking the bare shafts down from 32" to say 28-29" will increase spine a bit.

Get a sample pack maybe, some places sell them.

You can check your draw weight with a game scale pretty easily, I think it may be above 43#.

Comment

Did you get it figured out?

Comment

Working...
                    X