Slickness: Nylon vs Cordovan Leather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slickness: Nylon vs Cordovan Leather

Industrial grade nylon belting on the left. High quality Cordovan leather on the right.

Which is slickest?

Rick

I like the feel of the nylon as the string slips away vs the leather. Seems slicker to me. No scientific proof.

Comment

Neither one shoots better for me if it's dry out. I've never been one to slowly relax my hand till the string "slips". I shoot with a trigger and my flexors relax for a split second. My whole hook gets moved out of the way by the string. But if it's wet, leather can really grab hard on a string and change my impact. Cool stuff Rick!

Comment

I like leather in a glove when that is happening, really like nylon in a tab for hunting.

Comment

Here is a side by side "dynamic" friction test.

FYI - The magnets used in this test are not polished. They are actually rough with tool marks on both sides. :-)

In order to have a level playing field I elevated the ramp to just above the slip point of the cordovan, and the travel distance is exactly 8 inches.

Rick

Comment

One other thing to add where the surface of the weight is concerned.

The arrow on the top of the weight was to show rotation, which is created by friction.

If you will notice, the nylon barely had any rotation, but the cordovan had near 1/4 full revolution.

Rick

Comment

Mechanical fingers to use with a caliper release for tab testing.​

Rick Click image for larger version

Name:	FR4.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	26667939 Click image for larger version

Name:	FR3.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	26667940 Click image for larger version

Name:	FR2.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	26667941 Click image for larger version

Name:	FR1.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	26667942

Comment

Nylon boasts impressive low friction against smooth surfaces, but its slickness feels one-dimensional. Cordovan, on the other hand, offers a symphony of textures. wordle unlimited

Comment

Working...
                X