Pearson 304

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pearson 304

I just received my grandfathers Pearson 304 takedown bow along with 2 cases of wooden arrows and a quiver of wooden practice arrows. After doing a little research, I found this bow was made between 1954-1958. I have pictures of him with this bow up through the 1980's with deer so I know he hunted with it. Worse case, I have an awesome display bow that I can one day pass down as well. However, if there would be a way to string it up and start shooting with it, that would be awesome. The limbs look to be in great shape and I do not hear any cracking or noises when I put a little tension on it. Is there someone near San Antonio that yall recommend take a look at it or is this too old and just a display now. I have pictures, but cant' get them to download.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Cowboy73; 12-01-2023, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Take a close look and see if it has fiberglass on both sides of the limbs or if it is a solid fiberglass bow. I just watched a video review of that model and it looked like one side may have been wood only. I suppose that it will work fine. Painted bows are a little harder to inspect. You can string it up and try it. Verify the length. The bow in the video was 64" and took a 61" Dacron string. B50 or B55 string material is what you are looking for. Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7H2yJbchLNc
      Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 12-02-2023, 05:21 AM.

Comment

There are a total of three videos on that model done by the same guy. It is a solid fiberglass bow so go ahead and shoot it. It is ambidextrous and is a three piece bow. The handle is an aluminum socket with a leather covering. That type of bow has a tiny shelf so it will be almost like shooting off of the knuckle. Hopefully, those arrows are the result of your grandfather working up a good arrow for the bow. An over spined arrow won't work well at all because the arrow has to have enough flex to bend around the riser on the shot. You had better wear an arm guard. Don't expect much until you learn how to grip the bow. That straight grip will not help you find the proper grip at all.

Comment

Got some good broadheads; Bear, Zwickey and Ribtek.

Comment

I have a Ben Pearson 304 and am currently looking for another. I think they're a very nice shooting bow. When you split it apart, one of the ends should have the weight rating on it, something like 50-28 which denotes 50# at 28 inches. It's a 64" bow. I have a 60.5" string on mine which gives me a brace height of 7 1/2" which seems to be its sweet spot. I wouldn't shoot those arrows. Keep them for display. Pick up some carbons and fire away. Mine's a 50" and like 500 spine full length Black Eagle Outlaws with 200g up front which puts it right at 520g total weight. They are old (I think mine dated around '56 from what I could tell) but almost bulletproof. If you ever look to sell, please keep me in mind.

Comment

Had one in HS my dad gave me. It waa fun to shoot and finally split using it one time in really cold weather.

Comment

Working...
              X