X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Way to go Matt.

Comment

Sacajawea and I have been hunting quite a bit lately, but haven't had that right buck, hog or a good shot at a doe yet for one reason or another until yesterday evening. I first went to a blind that I knew had a couple of good bucks coming in, and thankfully I got there early enough to realize the feeder wasn't working, again. I've been plagued with feeder issues this year. So I packed up and jogged back to the truck as quick as I could and headed back north of town to another spot I knew some hogs were coming into. I got there 15 minutes before the feeder went off and was flat out tired at that point. It paid off though. I was texting a buddy of mine when I looked up and saw this hog standing at the edge of the brush. I already had Saca in my left hand ready to go. All I had to do was set the phone down and wrap my tab around the string. I call this the 3 second ready position. That's rule #68 I think. Always stay in a ready position where you can be ready to shoot in 3 seconds or less. PITA, but it has paid off big for me many times. Anyway, she starts working over to the feeder when she drops her nose and catches where I walked thru. She took off and I figure game over for that one, next! 10 minutes later I look over and she's standing 10 feet from the blind, couldn't believe it. She stood there for a few seconds and started milling around in the dirt as she worked her way towards the feeder. By the time she got out into my shooting lane she was 15 feet out. As soon as her head went behind a salt cedar I picked a spot drew back anchored and let Saca rip. Right about the time I let it go she must have heard something cuz she turned towards me. The arrow went into the left sholder angling back with about 12 inches of arrow sticking out. I watched her running thru the brush and then she went down hard. I was impressed with the penetration considering it went into the sholder, but then again it was a sow and not a boar. I stayed put till dark hoping more would show. You can bet I had plenty of arrows that were ready to go, but nothing. I guess when she was running thru the brush she must have hit something that drove the arrow even further in cuz my Zwicky broadhead was sticking out right in front of the right leg. Not the ideal angle, but it sure did a number on her. It was good to be on the board with Sacajawea finally. I was beginning to think my luck had run out. We'll be back at it thru out the holidays so hopefully we can get at least a doe on the ground, or a hog or 2.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01916.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	24151620

Merry Christmas from Saca and I,

Matt
      Last edited by Trick; 12-22-2012, 07:46 PM.

Comment

Congrats again, Matt!!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Congrats Matt on the hog.You look cold.

Comment

Way to go Matt!!! Another slab of bacon falls to the great SACAGAWEA.

Comment

congrats

Comment

Good job.

Comment

Congratulations Matt! That's a nice hog.

Comment

Well, sadly my time with Saca has come to an end. We gave it one last shot this weekend and almost got a shot at a hog, but got busted before I could draw. It's been a blast and I'm honored to have been part of it. Arvin, she'll be headed your way this week. I just need to find a new box to send it in. It was pretty beat up by the time it got to me.

Matt

Comment

Congrats. Good luck arvin

Comment

Send her on Matt. I have a couple of south tex hunts coming up and will see what I can get done with her. One of hundreds of Arvin stories coming soon. Not as good as the big screen but a close second maybe. I tried this post earlyer but it did not work I guess.

Comment

Good luck Arvin!!!!!!

Comment

go get em Arvin

Comment

Great job Matt! Thanks for the good write up.

Good luck Arvin, looking forward to your write ups as well.

Comment

Good luck with her, Arvin!

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                                X