The Struggle Has Ended!! Finally!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Struggle Has Ended!! Finally!!

And by struggle…I mean wow!! The Trad struggle was real for me. I was driving the struggle bus and it was embarrassing. (8 misses this year)but I wasn’t going to give up. So last night I decided to take advantage of the NE wind. I have a spot that’s been covered up in pigs and that wind is perfect for getting them close with a little corn. So off I went with the new Primal Tech recurve in hand.

I had been having pigs come in around 6:30 but the eclipse had them thrown off a bit. Feeder throws at 7pm and I still had no visitors until I heard crunching to my right. I quickly hit the record button on the camera and stared thru the brush. There was a lone pig at 20 yards and closing the distance. Peeked at the video camera and all was good. Closing… closing…and the pig had cleared the brush at 12 yards and perfectly broad side. I hit all my reference points and the arrow launched. It buried deep in the pigs neck. Not exactly what I had in mind but I’d hit something…finally!!! The pig ran left and behind me. I followed him visually and the last thing I saw was the nocturnal moving but in one spot as if the pig was down and struggling.

My attention was diverted suddenly, by the sound of corn crunching again. I looked towards the feeder and it was covered up in pigs. Apparently, they were unaware of the previous happenings. At the feeder with a compound is a chip shot at 24 yards. Obviously, I needed them closer. So the wait was on and so was the loss of daylight. To the point that all I could see at the feeder was black silhouettes moving around. I needed them in the same spot the previous pig was hit. As if by magic, one suddenly appeared in that very spot. No idea where he came from but I was prepared. Once again, reference points…arrow away. This time, the result was different. I had a pig that was DRT!!!! I couldn’t believe my eyes. My frustration and string of misses was over.

Unfortunately, the first pig must have ran off while my attention was diverted to the second pig. I found no blood. I found no arrow or any sign. The other unfortunate thing was that in the middle of recording the first shot, my camera went from in focus to unfocused and blurry. I assume loss of light caused that.

What was fortunate, is I had a dead pig laying in the road 12 yards away. I’d hit him in the point of the shoulder and he had gone straight down. I did have to assist a little in the process of his passing but that’s not unusual in the game of archery.

So, I’m turning in my keys to a slightly used 2023 model Struggle Bus in hopes they’ll never be needed again. My confidence has been boosted (even between first and second shots) and I’m ready to start a more successful trad year.

Thanks for reading this far. I had a blast and am ready for more.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7485.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	26611507

My apologies for the crap asz photo.
    Attached Files

Nicely done, Jeff! That’s a heck of an accomplishment. Been thinking of trying it out myself.

Comment

Congrats! I haven’t killed an animal with trad equipment since I was a teenager. I did recently get another trad bow and so far I’ve just been shooting at the target. I hope to wsend an arrow at a pig with mine soon.

Comment

Well done my friend! Glad you were able to get off the bus.

Comment

Heck yeah Jeff!! Welcome to the club.
          By the way though, we all ride the struggle bus now and then.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Way to go, Jeff, kill all them pigs!

Comment

Congrats again my friend!!!! I knew you would get ‘er done!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Struggle Bus, Heck mine is a struggle train!! Congrats on pulling it off.

Comment

Lol at struggle train. That sounds bad.

Comment

Great write up Jeff. Your due diligence has started to pay off. Congrats on one more step to infamy!!

Comment

I tried the trad route a few years ago. At 10 yards I was deadly ! Past that it was anybody’s guess as to where that arrow was going. It is fun though, even to just shoot targets. Congrats on your success !

Comment

I'll drive that struggle bus for you for a while. My problem has been getting any shots, not missing them. So you're ahead of me!!

Comment

Congrats on breaking your "bad juju".
                            Last edited by Horsehide; 10-15-2023, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Enjoyed the write up. Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X