Another "I blew it" thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another "I blew it" thread...

I've not shot an arrow at a whitetail in 5+ years and never with my recurve. Was fortunate to hunt on a friends 200 acres Friday and Saturady. Ladder stands and pop-up blinds. The pop-up were all too short for my 62" recurve, so I opted for the ladder stand.

1st sit and this doe steps out at 50ish yards. Looks right at me and starts to snorting. What the heck! 50-yards and she busts me in full camo, head net, and no moving but an eye blink and slow head turn 18' up a tree. She will live a long life.

3rd sit and this doe comes trotting in and slams on the brakes at 10-yards. All fidgety and looking into the woods. Because this ladder stand had hand rails, I would have to stand and fold up the seat to shoot. With her looking pretty much in my direction (but into the woods not at me) I hesitated and didn't stand up and take the shot hoping she'd at least look the other way. Thought she might see the movement or hear me move. 30-sec later she was gone.

Back to hunting hogs.
    Last edited by SJP51; 10-08-2023, 06:13 AM.

If it were easy anyone could do it. We do it this way because it's harder.
    the harder the work the sweeter the prize.

Comment

Plenty of shooting time left in the season.
      I buried the legs of my popup seat to get me dang near ground level to clear my limbs and shoot from my popup.
      Keep on leeping on Mr51.

Comment

Good luck next hunt!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Some days it just doesn’t pay to get out of bed in the morning.

Comment

An axis buck barked at me last Sunday morning,... there was no shot opportunity at any game that morning. Sometimes, you just have to enjoy being "out there"... I know, it doesn't fill the freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post
              An axis buck barked at me last Sunday morning,... there was no shot opportunity at any game that morning. Sometimes, you just have to enjoy being "out there"... I know, it doesn't fill the freezer.
              Regarding the freezer....There is always Whataburger!!

Comment

Originally posted by SJP51 View Post

Regarding the freezer....There is always Whataburger!!
                Low standards! That helps when it comes to buck hunting especially.

Comment

Had a hog at my stand at 15yrds, I shot just on top of the back took a little bit of meat on the arrow. It seems I shoot 6-8 inches higher than from the stand compared to shooting from the ground. I am bending at the waist when elevated, Is this something that y'all also notice shooting trad or am I possibly doing something wrong?

Comment

I always aim a little low if I'm over 10 feet up.

Comment

I've got a doe that's giving me fits at my stand too, even when the wind is on my side. Somehow, she knows I'm there when none of the other deer do. She won't come in and eat whenever I'm there. She stays on the edge of the brush on alert. This is on 3 consecutive sits.

Comment

Working...
                      X