Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting thru mesh

Good morning.
    I kept getting visually busted so I closed the mesh window. Shooting a 55/28 Bear 50th anniversary Kodiak Takedown. 35/55 Gold tip Heritage, feather fletch with 125gr magnus stingers. I am sitting 20yds down wind in a pop up blind. I waited for them to calm down and I took a 15yd shot thru the mesh. The mesh deflected my arrow terribly.
    Who has shot thru mesh successfully?
    And who says a trad hunter shouldn't shoot thru mesh because bow is not strong enough.?

I've only had one arrow go erratic through mesh and it was a mechanical head. One blade deployed. I've shot several animals with my trad bows through mesh with no issues and success. That said it does mess with my vision some.
    Have you checked your arrow flight with broadheads? If your tune is off that cause them not to fly straight.

Comment

I have shot a trainload of critters thru mesh with trad bows, and every single one has been with bows 5-8# lower than 55#. Every one of my blinds has mesh in the windows. The only thing I have found you can’t do is shoot at a very severe angle to the mesh. Also, you need to make sure the mesh is fairly taut. Floppy mesh will mess things up.

it could be your tune??? A 35/55 shaft is pretty weak for a 55# bow if that is your actual draw weight.

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 10-01-2023, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I'm in pop ups, and I'm dressing in black with 2 windows open, roughly 10" wide each and on separate lanes. I just don't like the idea of shooting through mesh. If I'm lucky you'll know next weekend after our front comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
          I have shot a trainload of critters thru mesh with trad bows, and every single one has been with bows 5-8# lower than 55#. Every one of my blinds has mesh in the windows. The only thing I have found you can’t do is shoot at a very severe angle to the mesh. Also, you need to make sure the mesh is fairly taut. Floppy mesh will mess things up.

it could be your tune??? A 35/55 shaft is pretty weak for a 55# bow if that is your actual draw weight.

Bisch
          Yes. The mesh was a bit floppy, I adjusted it hastily in the deer presence. I am gonna brush in the stand more so I can leave the mesh open. Found my arrow this am stuck in a Cedar branch about 5' off the ground. It deflected up. My set up could be off. I put down the Matthews 4 years ago to challenge myself and I am making a hard charge at hunting traditionally. I have come close a few times. Im still learning the trad game hoping to chalk up a kill with it this season. I have 400 spine shafts but I have to cut them.

Comment

Yeah tuning for trad is a bit different. But for me if my tune is off my arrows will fly in a cork screw motion and it gets wider the further out it goes.

Comment

I'm shooting a 43@28 recurve that I do not draw to 28, and have had no issues shooting through mesh. The arrows are tuned, though, and I do everything I can to bump the odds in my favor: tight mesh and as close to a right angle as possible. We set up a frame with mesh tacked in it to experiment with at home, prior to actually hunting. I'm not taking anything over a 15 yard shot, with closer being preferred. Like Gary it messes with my eyes and throws my depth perception off. I had to range things ahead of time from the blind to be sure of distances.

Comment

I have never had a problem shooting through the net. That said I hate looking through it all day. I cut a baseball size hole to look through just for looking out of but my arrows go through the net with no problems

Comment

Working...
                X