Trad nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trad nilgai

I was fortunate enough to draw LANWR in January. I was thinking about taking my trad bow. Has anyone harvested one with there trad equipment and have any pointers? Arrow weight, broadhead type?

Good luck. BillyJack has some experience in it.

Comment

I got a Nilgai calf last year at 25 yards with my recurve, short and quick recovery. I also missed a huge bull last year as well after a perfect stalk. Regardless of size, Nilgai are fast as African game and can and will duck the string easily with traditional equipment. Nilgai are known to have some of the best vision in the antelope family, and I wholeheartedly agree to that.
      I drew hat same hunt a couple years ago. Good area, but it can get crowded and awkward quick with other hunters of various hunter habits and behaviors.
      I decent - heavy arrow with a sharp 2 blade in at last a 50# traditional bow is what I’d recommend.

I used to guide Nilgai hunts for several years and occasionally still do. I dabbled with some traditional archery arrow testing on big Nilgai carcasses shortly after recovery. They’re heavy muscled and big boned. I’m not a big Ashby and heavy FOC believer, but on Nilgai I agree somewhat to his preachings.

A fast compound with a good area would be great medicine on a Nilgai bull. But I understand the love of hunting with traditional gear. Good luck out there.
      Last edited by BillyJack1975; 09-10-2023, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyJack1975 View Post
        I got a Nilgai calf last year at 25 yards with my recurve, short and quick recovery. I also missed a huge bull last year as well after a perfect stalk. Regardless of size, Nilgai are fast as African game and can and will duck the string easily with traditional equipment. Nilgai are known to have some of the best vision in the antelope family, and I wholeheartedly agree to that.
        I drew hat same hunt a couple years ago. Good area, but it can get crowded and awkward quick with other hunters of various hunter habits and behaviors.
        I decent - heavy arrow with a sharp 2 blade in at last a 50# traditional bow is what I’d recommend.

I used to guide Nilgai hunts for several years and occasionally still do. I dabbled with some traditional archery arrow testing on big Nilgai carcasses shortly after recovery. They’re heavy muscled and big boned. I’m not a big Ashby and heavy FOC believer, but on Nilgai I agree somewhat to his preachings.

A fast compound with a good area would be great medicine on a Nilgai bull. But I understand the love of hunting with traditional gear. Good luck out there.
        Thanks for the info. I'll be practicing out to maybe 30. I'd like it if they're under 20. From what I've read to is their vitals are forward and tight to the shoulder more then deer. Thinking about a good 2 blade head but I also have some stainless steel sniffers I'll use too. If I get close to one that will be a first and worth it. I've never hunted them before. Also do you know when the rut is for whitetail down there?

Comment

Nilgai are super wary critters! Everything BillyJack posted is spot on. If you get close enough to one on a day hunt to get a shot with a trad bow, go into town and buy some lottery tickets after it happens!!!!! I would think your best bet would be to ambush one from a fixed stand/blind at a water/food source or dung pile. Stalking one successfully is nearly never gonna happen!!!!

As far as broadheads go, I would go with a narrow, super sharp 2-blade. As far as bow goes, I would go with the most draw weight you can shoot accurately. Nilgai are super tough critters. I have personally witnessed a big bull get shot straight thru the heart and he didn’t die for 26 minutes after the shot!!!!!! If you do shoot one, don’t track to early and push him.

Good luck on your hunt!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods8 View Post
            Also do you know when the rut is for whitetail down there?
            It's late. We're in Falfurrias area and the rut is historically the week between Christmas and NYE.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

Working...
              X