It's hot but it's time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's hot but it's time

It's that time of year we need to be getting ramped up for deer season.
    Yeah the forum isnt perfect to navigate but its improving.
    I know there was some good shooting going on during the 3D season and some new faces showing up with impressive scores. I know all the practice and shoots helped me shoot great on game in Africa but now I'm looking to carry that over into the upcoming archery season.
    Starting to get cameras out, trying out new tripods or tree saddles or even a new bow or arrow set up, those last minute things making sure your season starts of right.
    let's hear it. What are you doing to get ready?

I went down the the ranch, trimmed limbs at my new blind set up and repaired 3 feeders. Two were just broken wiring but one was a motor replacement. We topped em all off. Next week I'll get bales of alfalfa out and some feed in the feed trough as well.
    Still shooting daily and I am enjoying the new Primal Tech along with my older veteran ones. Hopefully I'll be able to fill a tag or two with it.
    Last edited by DRT; 09-02-2023, 06:37 PM.

Like a kid waiting for Christmas…

Comment

I just this week found a lease…I’m headed out in the morning to set up feeder, cameras, and blind. I know it’s late so I will have to be patient until I get some movement happening. I will be hunting in Dickens county…this lease has both mule deer and whitetail as well as hogs. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to harvest something this year…will keep you posted!

Comment

Originally posted by muleycrazy View Post
        I just this week found a lease…I’m headed out in the morning to set up feeder, cameras, and blind. I know it’s late so I will have to be patient until I get some movement happening. I will be hunting in Dickens county…this lease has both mule deer and whitetail as well as hogs. Hopefully I will be lucky enough to harvest something this year…will keep you posted!
        Sounds like a good lease muley!

Comment

Gary, you're like the team leader and motivation speaker for TBH Trad, lol. I always look forward to reading what you write, especially this time of year. Have we seen pictures of the new Primal Tech? Don't hold out, you know we like to see stuff!

I'm excited, and a little nervous about the upcoming season. Like Gary, I put in a lot of time on the 3D range over the last few months, and my shooting has improved. For the last two weeks have been focusing on shooting with broadheads. My shots are there; it's the mental part of the equation that has me a little jittery. My son shot a big boar a week ago, and I used it to test a few setups on. While the penetration results put my mind more at ease, there's still the "I've never taken a shot on a deer with my recurve" going through my mind, and I'm trying to quiet that with "shoot your shot, keep your form, and the rest will follow."

Feeders have been up and running for several months, and we moved one into a new spot over the weekend. Did some scouting and found a good location at a pinch spot where they are coming into a stock tank. Lots of loaded persimmon trees and cover. We have two ladder stands to put up this week, and a little trimming to do around some of my son's stands. Everything looks good in theory, just need to do our part and pray the weather cooperates.

Daniel will be shooting his Hardcore with new cobra limbs, 44@27", and I'll be taking out mine, which is 43@28". Still working on arrows for Daniel. He's put some time in working on his form, and as a result his draw is a little longer than it was last year. It didn't affect the arrows for 3D, but now with a broadhead it is catching on the back of the riser, which obviously won't work. Today we'll spend experimenting with a stiffer spine and longer shaft, and hopefully get it nailed down.

Comment

Originally posted by CamoQuest View Post
            Gary, you're like the team leader and motivation speaker for TBH Trad, lol. I always look forward to reading what you write, especially this time of year. Have we seen pictures of the new Primal Tech? Don't hold out, you know we like to see stuff!

I'm excited, and a little nervous about the upcoming season. Like Gary, I put in a lot of time on the 3D range over the last few months, and my shooting has improved. For the last two weeks have been focusing on shooting with broadheads. My shots are there; it's the mental part of the equation that has me a little jittery. My son shot a big boar a week ago, and I used it to test a few setups on. While the penetration results put my mind more at ease, there's still the "I've never taken a shot on a deer with my recurve" going through my mind, and I'm trying to quiet that with "shoot your shot, keep your form, and the rest will follow."

Feeders have been up and running for several months, and we moved one into a new spot over the weekend. Did some scouting and found a good location at a pinch spot where they are coming into a stock tank. Lots of loaded persimmon trees and cover. We have two ladder stands to put up this week, and a little trimming to do around some of my son's stands. Everything looks good in theory, just need to do our part and pray the weather cooperates.

Daniel will be shooting his Hardcore with new cobra limbs, 44@27", and I'll be taking out mine, which is 43@28". Still working on arrows for Daniel. He's put some time in working on his form, and as a result his draw is a little longer than it was last year. It didn't affect the arrows for 3D, but now with a broadhead it is catching on the back of the riser, which obviously won't work. Today we'll spend experimenting with a stiffer spine and longer shaft, and hopefully get it nailed down.
            Sounds to me like your more than prepared, Julie!

Comment

That's an understatement about her shooting improving the season.
              I remember one time in school when I made the wrong remark to a girl on the soccer team and she beat me with her crutch.
              that's how b it feels after a shoot with Julie this year. Beaten up by a girl with a bow.
              I did the same in Africa. After I made the decision to shoot I picked my aim point before I drew, went through my draw and form checks then made a conscious release focusing in the follow through. The results were arrows where they were supposed to be.
              Most days I'm shooting one arrow, maybe two per "end". Focusing on every step of the shot. And it's funny because I hold a long time at full draw in practice. And even on the 3D range. Louis commented on that last year and this. However in the blind the shot was quicker according to him.
              You're on the right track. Because if you think about horns or not focused on that spot, things can go wrong. Good luck getting one down. Hopefully opening weekend.

Comment

I’ve met Julie, she’s far too nice to ever beat anyone u with her bow! What’s more, I just can’t see her doing that to her bow.

Either way, this is high praise for Julie, I’m sure.

Comment

We have been diligent about keeping plenty of corn, protein and sweet feed available all summer and have had more bucks on camera than in years past, including a couple definite shooters. However I am behind on the more important aspect of bow hunting, shooting my bow. I could blame the heat I suppose but it’s mostly laziness and lack of motivation. Yesterday was my first practice session in about 5 months and unsurprisingly I am quite rusty. I’m not going to be able to hunt until mid October so I have about 6 weeks to get dialed in. After a long layoff my routine is to shoot in the garage at a blank bale every day just working on form for a while until draw, anchor release gets consistent again before hitting the backyard range

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                    I’ve met Julie, she’s far too nice to ever beat anyone u with her bow! What’s more, I just can’t see her doing that to her bow.

Either way, this is high praise for Julie, I’m sure.
                    Maybe not but . . . My smartazz mouth has been known to push a lady to extreme action.
                    just ask my wife.

Comment

Shooting side of things, I'm raring to go. I've been broadhead tuned for weeks now! I'm super excited cause I have the most forgiving setup I've ever handled for hunting season, and on top of that, my shooting is in a fantastic place. Had some things coalesce right around the Bob Lee Memorial shoot in my actual shot, and it hasn't gone away. I'm even using lighted nocks for the first time this year.

On the finding/fooling animals front, I checked a camera a coupe weeks ago on public (it had some critters, but not THE spot, apparently). My tree stand and sticks are in good shape. I need to build a bow hanger still, and do a couple practice tree climbs. I need to spray down my clothing with permethrin still, and I need to go over my setup from head to toe one more time.

Right now my main goal is to keep momma happy so that I can actually get out during season.

Comment

Best I've laid eyes on so far but I haven't been there much this year. Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230904_161148_Photos.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	403.5 KB
ID:	26576057

Comment

Somewhere around October 15th, I'll pick up my bow and grab the hip quiver with three broadhead tipped arrows in it and go for a walk. Maybe I'll get lucky and maybe I won't. No game cameras, no corn, no blind. Just me and a bow and three pointy sticks. Just like being a kid again, only stiffer.

Comment

Oh if we're only so easy.
                            Well, with pigs it can be. But our deer have too good of eyes and ears.

Comment

Hey!!! I'm talking to you!!! Get out there and shoot. Cooler weather is coming. Come on!!!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by DRT; 09-08-2023, 06:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X