Who makes good recurve strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who makes good recurve strings?

I’ve been out of touch for a little while.
    Any recommendations?
    Looking for a mercury 15 strand for a 58” recurve.
    Thanks!

Pierre Lucas and his son at SBD Strings make outstanding skinny (padded loops) Mercury and Mercury II strings. For D97, I would go with Trevor Fielder at TTT Strings.

Comment

John Hynes make mine and he makes quite a few for a lot of IBO and TBOT shooters. He’s on FB, awesome fellla to deal with.

Comment

Thanks for the pointers!!!

Comment

I recommend Lancaster Archery Supply for their extensive selection of archery equipment, exceptional customer service, and expertise in helping archers find the perfect gear for their needs. fnf

Comment

Honestly I haven't found one I liked as much as Daniel's strings. They've all been equally as loud and crappy wool puffs on them. The newer 97 and 99 are just not good materials for hunting in my opinion.

Comment

You do.

Learn it. It ain't that hard.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Honestly I haven't found one I liked as much as Daniel's strings. They've all been equally as loud and crappy wool puffs on them. The newer 97 and 99 are just not good materials for hunting in my opinion.
                I make my strings out of D97, and they're plenty quiet. Especially on my longbow. Are you still using the old B50 for your bows or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post

I make my strings out of D97, and they're plenty quiet. Especially on my longbow. Are you still using the old B50 for your bows or something?
                  Field that sarcasm when you've taken as many shots at game as I have.
                  When you've used the same bow for years and can switch between two strings and hear the difference, even as deaf as i am, the animals can hear it too.
                  Last edited by DRT; 09-22-2023, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with BCY 8125?

Comment

Nothing wrong with D97 or X99!

You might try Mike Harbison with Bayou Teaditional for strings also. Mike makes great bowstrings.

Bisch
                      Last edited by Bisch; 09-23-2023, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Anyone have any experience with BCY 8125?
                        From what I gathered, BCY 8125 does not play nice in warmer temperatures. It gets very stretchy. I have had good luck with well-made D97 strings. Mercury II is also good if you do not mind skinnier strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Horsehide View Post

From what I gathered, BCY 8125 does not play nice in warmer temperatures. It gets very stretchy. I have had good luck with well-made D97 strings. Mercury II is also good if you do not mind skinnier strings.
                          You do not have to settle for a skinny string with M2. The size of the string is all about the builder.
                          Just increase the strand count until you have the desired diameter.
                          I'll add - it is an extremely good material - as in right up there with other top of the line stuff.

Edit:
                          M2 is really easy to work with for flemish strings also.

Rick
                          Last edited by RickBarbee; 09-23-2023, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                            Nothing wrong with D97 or X99!

You might try Mike Harbison with Bayou Teaditional for strings also. Mike makes great bowstrings.

Bisch
                            Says they guy whose hearing is worse than mine.

Comment

Says they guy whose hearing is worse than mine.
                              I remember seeing some videos of game reactions to bow vs arrow noise Tim King had awhile back.
                              Whitetails did not seem to start their ninja moves until way after the arrow was on its way.
                              But, like you said, you have way more "string time" shooting these guys than I do.

Comment

Working...
                              X