Vintage Bow Hunters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vintage Bow Hunters?

Anyone out there hunting with vintage tradional bows? I've been a lurker here for years, but not active due to shoulder problems. After surgery last October, I think this year might be the year. I'm easing into it, and needed a light draw weight bow. So the old Indian Archery Mohawk is tuned up with cedar shafts and shooting good. I noticed on some other trad forums, if it isn't from a custom bowyer, you just are not in the game. How about here? Anyone hunting with vintage production trad bows?

I don't have any vintage bows in working condition, but I wouldn't hesitate to hunt with one! Custom bows might be a bit faster, or the grip might suit ya better, but they don't make a broadhead an sharper or more deadly.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a vintage bow. There are a few Bears I'd like to get a hold of. Join us in the Weekly FSC.

Comment

There might be a little dust on the bottle but don't be fooled about what's inside.

Comment

We have a Presentation I and II that are still going strong, along with a Slim Line. Several other vintage bows on the rack that would probably still shoot but are retired.

Comment

I wish.
            The 48” Bear Magnum circa 60-70s gives me finger pinch. I have shot a Buffalo (carp not really) with it when rigged for bowfishing.
            I havent got my act together to tune arrows for the Wing Archery Red Hawk… hecho before I was born.
            My Bear Polar dual shelved longbow circa 50s hasnt been loved in a very long time due to the cracks in the glass.

I hope your shoulder stays strong and we get to see your LDPs soon.

Im inspired now to get my act together with the Red Hawk.

Good push and good skilling MrRanchDog.

Comment

Nice looking bow. I've killed a few critters with vintage bows back when I was still shooting and hunting. That was 15 years ago but a bow from the 60's or 70's was still a "vintage bow" in the early 2000's

Got rid of most of my old bows but I do still have a Kodiak Magnum and a Bear Grizzly that would be up to the task.

Comment

Originally posted by TXRebel View Post
                Nothing wrong with a vintage bow. There are a few Bears I'd like to get a hold of. Join us in the Weekly FSC.
                Okay, I just figured out the FSC...

I'm just back into this from a long way out, I haven't shot 30 yards yet, but I will give it a go. It probably will be a blank sheet at that yardage. I don't have a bicep. Some days are good, and some not so good. I am not going to give up.

Briar, the thought of that Super Mag gives me the willies and makes my shoulder shake. It would need to be a 30 lb'er for me. I'm also glad to see others giving the old bows a home. I've had many of them, but I ran out of room a few two decades back and moved them while they still had some life. I had a very old Bear Grizzly that was perfect. My vet really liked that bow, and he saved my dog from losing an eyeball; I gave it to him. I haven't talked to him in a decade or more, but he was still hunting South Texas with it when we last talked.

My main sticks with a string in 2000, when I stopped shooting because of the injury, were a Damon Howatt Super Diablo, a Wing Thunderbird, the short version (54"), and a Bear Kodiak Takedown. In the '80s, I did have a chance to visit with Fred Bear. I had killed a pronghorn with the T/D and a wood arrow, and he wanted to hear about it. He was in a wheelchair with an oxygen bottle, but I only saw the guy in the hat and wool clothing. I'm sure he made every archer he spoke with feel special; he was more interested in hearing my tales than telling his.

Comment

My grandparents gave me a recurve bow when I was maybe 10 or 11 years old. Nobody knew anything about them, and the turned me loose to shoot it. I tripped and broke in less than 1/2 hour. Only vintage bow I've ever had. Well it would be vintage NOW.

No problem with vintage bows. Doen't see them around much to shoor or buy either one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranch_Dog View Post
                    Okay, I just figured out the FSC...

I'm just back into this from a long way out, I haven't shot 30 yards yet, but I will give it a go. It probably will be a blank sheet at that yardage. I don't have a bicep. Some days are good, and some not so good. I am not going to give up.

Briar, the thought of that Super Mag gives me the willies and makes my shoulder shake. It would need to be a 30 lb'er for me. I'm also glad to see others giving the old bows a home. I've had many of them, but I ran out of room a few two decades back and moved them while they still had some life. I had a very old Bear Grizzly that was perfect. My vet really liked that bow, and he saved my dog from losing an eyeball; I gave it to him. I haven't talked to him in a decade or more, but he was still hunting South Texas with it when we last talked.

My main sticks with a string in 2000, when I stopped shooting because of the injury, were a Damon Howatt Super Diablo, a Wing Thunderbird, the short version (54"), and a Bear Kodiak Takedown. In the '80s, I did have a chance to visit with Fred Bear. I had killed a pronghorn with the T/D and a wood arrow, and he wanted to hear about it. He was in a wheelchair with an oxygen bottle, but I only saw the guy in the hat and wool clothing. I'm sure he made every archer he spoke with feel special; he was more interested in hearing my tales than telling his.

Thats super awesome you got to visit with MrBear…especially about killing a critter with his bow.

Sounds like you been around archery a long while and much to share. Its cool your surfacing now as TBH is going through growing pains and reformatting.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post

Thats super awesome you got to visit with MrBear…especially about killing a critter with his bow.

Sounds like you been around archery a long while and much to share. Its cool your surfacing now as TBH is going through growing pains and reformatting.
                      Thanks, Briar...

Yeah, I have been around a bit. My only regret in archery is shooting the heavier poundage recurves. Looking back, it wasn't necessary.

In '86, I killed the pronghorn in Brewster County, just north of Alpine. As I recall, it was the only TX pronghorn in P&Y and one of the animals displayed at the LSBA's banquet the following spring. Within the LBSA records, I want to say only two had been taken.

I was a Bohning shooter; I had been dealing with them directly with the traditional stuff they continue to offer (all the arrow shaft finishing products), and they asked me to attend the Shot Show in '87, which was in New Orleans. I guess they had a good relationship with Bear Archery because, before the show, I received a call from someone at Bear asking if I would like to meet Fred Bear. Of course, the answer was yes, and a time was set up at the Bear suite. I kind of figured it would be a Hi and Bye at best, but I remember talking about hunting for nearly an hour. No pressure from the staff in the background. I came to the room, knocked, and someone said, "Come on in," and then, "Hello, Michael, I'm Fred Bear." I had my T/D with me, and he said he knew I was a serious hunter because I had ordered it from the factory with the Bear camo finish. Funny, I met many archers that felt that was sacrilege, but he was truly impressed and autographed my bow.

I've been a professional pilot my entire life, retired from a corporate flight department, went to Southwest Airlines, retired from them, and just finished another gig for a ranching family. Still haven't stopped flying, flying a turbine single for an individual. I also own my own airplane that is used on my hunting trips. Yes, a switch hitter turning to firearms with the shoulder stuff. Here, out on a Panhandle mule deer hunt.

I've owned and lived on my ranches since 1995 but sold the last place in 2020. Now live on acreage as the ranch life is physically taxing.

Comment

I've got a 1962 Bear Grizzly that shoots very well. Not my primary hunting bow but it shoots very well. I hunt with my custom bows but I guess it is just because I need to justify to myself what I paid for them.

Comment

Thanks Ranch Dog for inspiring me to add this line to Tom T. Hall’s “old dogs and children, and watermelon wine”, I’ll sing:

“Old bows and turkey fletch and cedar shafts shoot fine”

Great pics of that very cool bow and arrows.

Comment

Originally posted by 3ChordTruth View Post
                            Thanks Ranch Dog for inspiring me to add this line to Tom T. Hall’s “old dogs and children, and watermelon wine”, I’ll sing:

“Old bows and turkey fletch and cedar shafts shoot fine”

Great pics of that very cool bow and arrows.
                            I like it!

Comment

I added an Indian Deerslayer yesterday; the Mohawk wanted some family around.

Comment

Working...
                              X