Click image for larger version

Name:	7005A6A1-A912-4679-9C86-5BD31114196E.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	26529085 Click image for larger version

Name:	DB1E963B-5C06-44A3-B87A-A97F4C27926F.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	26529084 I left my bow strung in the garage and the limb tips twisted outward toward the quiver. Thankfully they both went the same direction and only by about 3/4”-1”.

I unstrung the bow and stripped the quiver off and let it relax for several days in the AC, it got a steamy shower, a power massage, and read a bedtime story. Still, the tips didnt straighten out.

It was suggested by my favorite TBHing Montanan that I string it and attempt to straighten the limbs then. I restrung it and torqued the limbs a bit. At one point I torqued a limb too much and the string popped off.

I figured I needed to make a torture device to ensure compliance toward realignment. To the Rack! I took a stringer (I dont really like because it only holds the tips and they get in the way when stringing) and a wooden stake and twisted the stringer the oposite side of the twisted limbs. I tightened the stringer rack to where the tips came just past alignment. I figure once I let it out of the rack the limbs may relax back into alignment. The bow is set on a cooler for support and contacts right about where the limb twist starts. I set up the rack and left the bow there overnight.

Whatve Yall done to correct twisted limbs?

Any suggestions or guidance for correcting limb twist would be appreciated.

I released the stringer and seemingly the tips have shifted to about only 1/8” off center.

Back to the rack she goes. Slow and steady seems to be working.

Comment

I put mine on the drawboard and pull it about ten inches. The twist becomes quite obvious. I tweak it back to center until it holds then walk away for a couple of hours, leaving it drawn. When I come back I either tweak it again or pull it a few more inches. You get the idea. Once things look good I draw it to about twenty-four inches and walk away for a while. My theory is that the added pressure speeds up the process.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
        I put mine on the drawboard and pull it about ten inches. The twist becomes quite obvious. I tweak it back to center until it holds then walk away for a couple of hours, leaving it drawn. When I come back I either tweak it again or pull it a few more inches. You get the idea. Once things look good I draw it to about twenty-four inches and walk away for a while. My theory is that the added pressure speeds up the process.
        Interesting. I need to research and cogitate on how to devise and construct a drawboard. Ive never actually seen one in person. Thanks for the guidance MrDeluxe.

I took the bow off the rack this morning and one limb is aligned and the other still out of alignment by 1/8-1/4” or so. I unstrung the bow, laid the bow on its side on the concrete, laid a cinder block on the riser and another large stone on the one limb not aligned. Ill let it sit for the day.

Comment

I built a drawboard out of a 2x4, an old boat winch, a 1" wooden dowel, and some other scraps. It is set up to lay on top of my workbench. The clamp is to secure it to the workbench and to act as a safety to keep the bow from launching itself off of the table in the event of a rope or nocking loop failure on a compound bow.

Comment

Thanks for the pics MrDeluxe. The draw board appears simple enough to construct and I happen to have an extra boat crank. Yee haw.

Comment

It works for what I do. If I were building bows, I would have it mounted on a wall and have horizontal lines on the wall behind it in order to check tiller.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                I built a drawboard out of a 2x4, an old boat winch, a 1" wooden dowel, and some other scraps. It is set up to lay on top of my workbench. The clamp is to secure it to the workbench and to act as a safety to keep the bow from launching itself off of the table in the event of a rope or nocking loop failure on a compound bow.
                Looks great. Hope you can update when it's complete.

Comment

Working...
                X