what is a Dyna Flex limb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what is a Dyna Flex limb?

what is a Dyna Flex limb? can anyone answer that?
    they are synonymous the ones with BW bows.
    1st post from other site!!---
    The Grove bow according to the way Harold explained it to me before he pased away was made in such away that the limb was first glued up straight. Then the limb was bent and the other side of the limb glued. I can't recall whether the back was glued and then the belly or vice versa. I'll have to look through my journals and see. I suspect the Black Widow process is similar.
    2nd post from other site!!--
    Dyna Stressed limbs were developed by Harold Groves, working in conjunction with Robert Oppenheimer the physicist.....they both worked together at Los Alamos, and in their off time worked together on archery limb design.............and walla the dyna stressed limb was developed..........
    If you have ever shot a Groves, you know the last inch or so of draw drops off, almost akin to a compound........but they can flat smoke a heavy arrow.............its a **** shame they are no longer made........somehow Robert Oppenheimer helped Harold Groves with his limb design, and I must say they both got it right.........thank god Robert Oppenheimer helped develop the A-Bomb, and had a hand in the Dyna Stressed limbs of Harold Groves...........now thats a win-win situation !!!!!!!
    Anyone else?

Pretty cool to hear about Oppenheimer developing archery equipment, instead of just hearing about it in my senior level chemistry classes in college. LOL

Fun how things come about.

As for your question....don't have a clue. Sorry.

Comment

You have it a little wrong. I have had several Groves bows and had a very good relationship with Harold and talked regularly. He made his own fiberglass strips and made them in a circle. The circle would be twice as wide as he needed them. He would cut the circle in half and then cut the two half circles in half length wise. You could imagine that his limbs, built with this fiberglass, would want to return to a half circle instead of just going back to straight like most fiberglass. Essentially they were prestressed or his term, dyna flex limbs. Harold would say, the same thickness of fiberglass another bowyer would make a 50# bow with, with his it would be a 75# bow.

Unfortunately his limb had a tendancy to twist easily and is the reason so few have survived today. I still have a target bow that I used to shoot field archery. It has a tiny aluminum handle that is flocked and the limbs bolt into the ends of the handle. It was a very fast bow but alas the limbs on it are twisted so bad that it is beyond repair.

Back in the day Harold's bows set all the distance records for hand held bows. He also made limbs for some of the foot bows that shot arrows over a mile. He also produced a compound for a while. It had six wheels on it and what looked like a half mile of cables. It was a very fast compound but just looked too complicated for most bow hunters.

Comment

Working...
      X