Question on Back Tension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question on Back Tension

So I've been shooting trad for just under a year. I'm starting to feel more comfortable with my shot but I feel like I still have a few more kinks to work out before I'm really happy with it.

Here's a video showing my shot sequence from three different aspects, I'm aware that I'm creeping a bit and it's due to how I reach my anchor. On the draw I drag the base of my thumb across my cheekbone until it's behind my head, then I let it creep slightly forward until its firmly against my jaw and the tip of the joint between my index and middle finger are in the corner of my mouth.

I'm happy with my anchor as it gives me two points of reference on my face and I orient my nock so the cock vane touches the tip of my nose at full draw. However, I think I could probably do a better job of how I get there.

I don't think I'm engaging my back muscles as much as I could be. I feel like my alignment and follow through are decent but my shoulder is just as tired as my back after a long shooting session.

Tried multiple methods to get these muscles engaged, to include a more rotational draw but so far nothing seems to be clicking. Thanks for taking a look, I look forward to hearing what yall have to say.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q279nACNNRE"]Longbow Form Video - YouTube[/ame]

If you were physically here, there are a couple of things I'd suggest you work on that would help you get a better release and take the load off the draw shoulder..

If you'd like to call me I'd be happy to discuss those changes.. If you're interested pm me and I'll get you my cell #

Comment

PM sent

Comment

Listen to Mike! He will tell you the truths!!!!!

BTW, I have seen guys that have been shooting for WAY longer than a year that don't have half as good form as you do right now. Keep working at it. We all want to get better every day.

Bisch

Comment

It looks pretty solid to me. There are a couple of things I see that are different than my draw, but that doesn't by any means imply that mine is better (or conversely that yours is worse).

Your form and consistency looks pretty solid to me.

Comment

You have pretty darn good form but there is a couple of small things you might work on. Your drawing arm is slightly out of alignment, high. Alignment is the most important part of your form. Most problems can be atributed to improper alignment. The best thing that I've seen to show peoper alignment is the form clock on the Tradgang site. http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimate...c;f=6;t=003278

I really like the way you have the bow in position before you start your draw. It's not that important to your shooting accuracy but can be very important to shooting game. If you get your bow in positon before shooting an animal, then the only motion required to shoot is in line with the animal and they are less likely to see you draw.

There is one other thing I might point out and very few people ever bring this up. While your basic form is good, it is not healthy good form. The two most important parts of a healthy form is a low shoulder, which you have, and a bent elbow, which you don't have. While you may be able to get to shooting lights out with out healthy form, it is a matter of time before you have wrist, elbow or shoulder problems in your bow arm. You need a bent bow arm to help absorb the stresses caused at the release of the bow. Not only should the arm be bent but it should be bent down and not side ways. With the arm bent down at the elbow you will be able to almost straighten the arm, but not quite. It makes for a consistent draw as the arm will go to as straight as it can with the elbow down but still not all the way straight.

The best I can tell you on this is to look at as many pictures of Howard Hill as you can. His form was perfect healthy form. He shot 80+ pound bows into his 70's. I am 62 now and shoot 63# for my main bow and I shoot a 74# recurve for pig hunting and I have no issues with my bow health. Good luck.

Comment

God bless, that rice burner scared the crap out of me! Had my speakers up too loud.

Comment

Me too Ron.

Comment

HAAAAA X2!!!!!! glad i wasnt the only one

Originally posted by Ron Meloni View Post
                  God bless, that rice burner scared the crap out of me! Had my speakers up too loud.

Comment

Haha, should have warned everyone about that before hand. I was doing all my editing while my 4 month old son was eating so I had my speakers turned down and didn't notice how loud it was.

Thanks for the pointers yall, keep em coming.

Comment

Draco,

I had seen the form clock before, but it's been a while since I've looked at it. I can see how my body position / draw is putting my bow arm out of alignment and causing undue wear on my shoulder.

I was initially having issues with my bow hand going down and left on release (see any FSC video that I've posted within the last few months). I've been able to work on my shoulder alignment to eleminate the left kick on release, but my arm still wants to move down due to it being a bit high at anchor.

I really like the video review to break things down, it's very evident to me that I'm using my shoulder too much during the draw cycle. Ideally I'd like to end up with something that looks like this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	form1clock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	24034401

I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to get there with my current body posture for the shot. I like to shoot rather upright as it's easier to maintain that position as I get tired. I don't know if I'll be able to continue to do that AND get my alignment correct unless I go to a more Olympic style anchor under my jawline.

I'm not opposed to being more "hunched over" on the shot, just want to find something that's going to be easy to be consistent with.

Comment

Well thanks again to everyone for their input, had a nice chat with Javi and have been doing some blank bale work in the evening to work out the kinks. I'm starting to feel a little more comfortable with the changes, although I still have a long way to go.

Shot this sequence this afternoon. I think my alignment is starting to look better, and I'm working my back a lot more during the draw. However, I'm finding that I sometimes relax my back tension just a hair as I bring my hand up to anchor. Thanks again for yalls help, it's much appreciated.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93j3wx1yOLg&feature=player_detailpage"]Form Followup - YouTube[/ame]

Oh, and in case you were wondering - no rice burners this time around...
                        Last edited by agtex42; 12-11-2011, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X