Question from a beginer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question from a beginer.

I have killed several deer with my compound and am looking foward to my first whitetail with my recurve. I have killed hogs and a javilina but have yet to connect on a deer. How far do you guys set up from your feed pile, road or trail to get a shot at a deer? Thanks.

12-20yds.

Comment

6-12 yards

Comment

I have yet to connect with my trad gear either, but I put my chum corn at between 10 and 12 yards. I've had some yearlings and young bucks gobbling up corn at that range but nothing I want to shoot.
        Last edited by jerp; 11-30-2011, 03:41 PM.

Comment

try to be around 10 yards.

I would go no more than 15 with one of my dads recurves personally...

Comment

8 to 10 yards here. Ive found over the years that deer, especially mature deer almost always go to the largest amount of corn farthest from the feeder. I pepper the ground heavily in about a 5ft square area. Only risk is if its real quite they may hear you draw your bow when they're that close. Wear fleece. I also offset my hand thrown corn to one side when I can to reduce the chance of having to worry about another deer being under the feeder and behind the deer I want to shoot. Assuming your hunting a feeder that is.

Matt

Comment

12-18

Comment

I don't shoot at deer under my feeders. I lay a chum line(50lbs) leading away from the feeder. My blinds are 30+ yds away from the feeders and the chum line is from 10 to 12 yds from my blind. I have found that the older deer are more at ease eating off the chum line and away from the feeder and give me better shot opportunities if I lay the chum line in the right direction.

Comment

10-20 yards for me.

Comment

10 to 15 yds.

Comment

15 yards to the feeder, and hand corn 10 to 12, but I think I'll try muzzlebrakes chum line next season. I think using this technique will have you seeing more deer, and they won't be as easily spooked.

Comment

I use a 29" arrow... I like it to clear the bow before it hits the animal... and I can't see much past 15 yards

Comment

15 yards with 20 yards max....closer is better.....

Comment

When hunting a feeder - Where I can I prefer to set the feeder at 20 yards from the blind, but then hand feed at 15 yards when I am there to hunt.

When I am hunting on trails & clearings I try to set up my shots to be at 15 yards or less.

Rick

Comment

Just as close as you think you can get;and not get busted....

Comment

Working...
                              X